Submitted by M1SSF1RE t3_ym503o in Newark

Hi friends, I used the search bar to review the questions that have already been answered around this topic, but I still have a question or two specific to my situation...tia for your help.

My buddy and I are staying in Newark at the end of the year and plan to travel into NYC on New Year's Eve (plans TBD). The Airbnb is seemingly close to the Newark airport (I'm vaguely aware that the airport has a commuter train to Penn Station), but we'll also be within walking distance of the 107 bus stop at Meeker Ave with a route to Port Authority. I just wondered if anyone had experience traveling this route on NYE/NYD after midnight, or if the bus even runs that late? I have seen that NJ Transit offers different operating hours during the holidays, but without waiting so close to the date for them to make those announcements, I want to ensure we won't be stranded and have a solid transportation plan in place. I have found the 107 bus schedule online but have difficulty deciphering it, so I'm unclear on whether or not it could accommodate our plans. Or, maybe the commuter train is the better (or safer?) route to take anyway? We'd just need to figure out the logistics of getting to and from the Airbnb since the airport/station isn't within walking distance..

I truly appreciate any insight or suggestions!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dsarma t1_iv2iglw wrote

Just as an FYI. If you’re not from around here, be prepared for insane crowds. Every asshole from miles around hits up the city bars and such, to say nothing of the madness that is Times Square and that entire clusterfuck of a neighbourhood. And add that to the assholes who live here already. And that’s on a Tuesday. On the weekends, it’s more insane and crowded. In New Year’s Eve?

It’s massive insane drunken crowds, all of whom are cramming into every mass transit available, because you are not getting a cab even if you’re paying with gold. Be prepared for really long, obnoxious waits. Make sure that whatever plan you have, you get out of the city first before trying to do anything else, no matter what that method is. If it’s the bus, do that. If it’s the rail, do that. Be prepared for random shit to be cancelled for no reason.

That said, you’re going from a mega huge city to another one. If plan A, B and E are all garbage or cancelled or massively delayed, plans C and D will work. It might be annoying, but you’re probably not going to get stranded unless a serious catastrophe happens. Once you’re back in NJ, someone is going to be headed to the airport, so you will find an Uber. In the years I’ve lived here, going around and nearby the airport is a nothing wait for me.

If your bus plan goes to hell, someone will know how to point you towards Penn Station, where you have both path trains and Nj transit trains. One of them will get you across the water to NJ.

M1SSF1RE OP t1_iv2qe2t wrote

Thank you, this is very insightful.

Atuk-77 t1_iv2a9m2 wrote

From Newark Penn Station there is 24 hours transportation to NYC using Path or NJ Transit. From NewarkPenn Station you have UBER/Lift/ or local taxi companies (Golden Lincoln, Ecuamerica, and yellow cabs) to move around the city at a reasonable cost.

TrafficSNAFU t1_iv20axo wrote

You should be fine with the 107 bus. NJ Transit will publish special schedules with extra service for New Years Eve in December. On the regular schedule there is a gap between 145am and 6am when there are no scheduled departures for the 107 but NJ Transit may add some for the holiday festivities.

M1SSF1RE OP t1_iv23lop wrote

Yes, that is was I was seeing as well. Fingers crossed there will be extended operating hours! Others were suggesting the NJ Transit/PATH to ensure a way back, but it's difficult to figure out some of those routes/transfers online as someone who is fairly inexperienced with navigating public transportation. Thanks so much for your reply!

stephenclarkg t1_iv2frsi wrote

worst case scenario path runs 24/7 you can take it to Newark Penn and then get an uber for like $20ish to where your staying

TrafficSNAFU t1_iv24mtl wrote

You're welcome. When the holiday gets a little closer, you can plug in your travel into the NJ Transit trip planner and that should give you the best option.

thebruns t1_iv2am9s wrote

FYI, the Airport Train Station is not accessible from Newark, only as a transfer between trains.

The 107 stops by Meeker Ave, the 107X does NOT.

Also, its not a nice area FYI.

avd706 t1_iv417px wrote

Take the PATH. Uber to Harrison. Or walk from air train station to hotel.

Puhhhleeze t1_iv2t3p9 wrote

Traveling through midtown on NYE honestly sounds like an absolute nightmare. You might be better off catching the PATH back home, but you will definitely be packed like a sardine regardless of your route back to Jersey.

If you’re going for the ball drop, wear lots of layers you can easily take off and put back on.

so_newstead t1_iv3pjo7 wrote

NJ Transit will add more trains between Penn and NJ on NYE/NYD. You could always Uber from the closest station to where you’ll be staying. Should be a fairly easy thing to do