Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AgileSpider t1_jabl5gx wrote

There is a lot more to it than just that. Hirohito had a role in which lead to many atrocities being committed, he himself however wasn't directly Responsible most of the atrocities. What I mean is this, its not deniable he knew many of which what was going on, but little to no evidence points to him ordering said actions to occur such was inhumane experiments, mass genocide, torture and so on. A lot of it had to do with lack of military discipline within the ranks of which lead to many Soldiers going to extremes in order to compete with one another especially military branches competing such as the Navy vs the Army.

The Military had such influence in the Japanese Government that Hirohito was little but a Puppet Figure in comparison to vast Military leaders. Sure Hirohito had the authority but the Military having the highest Status and influence, makes those who go against the Status Quo "Eliminated", An example being former Prime Minister Inukai Tsuyoshi whom himself was Assassinated after being an Obstacle to the Japanese Military as Inukai had disagreed with the Military invasion of Manchuria believing in Hirohito's positioning of honoring The Nine-Power Treaty of 1922 (Recognizing the Republic of China).

I would argue Hirohito's greatest responsibility was allowing the Military Generals and Military to go unchecked to do as they wished. Inaction on his end is what resulted in the atrocities Japan committed during WW2.

Eric1491625 t1_jacbuwa wrote

>The Military had such influence in the Japanese Government that Hirohito was little but a Puppet Figure in comparison to vast Military leaders.

I would say that Hirohito's influence was understated on purpose to justify keeping him there to stabilise Japan as a bastion against the USSR.

In August 1945 Hirohito wanted to surrender. Most of his commanders wanted to defend Japan down to the last woman and child.

Japan surrendered.

This says something about how much of a "powerless puppet" he was.

JamCom t1_jacnydt wrote

Well when all your soldiers and navy vessels are gone and two of your cities are razed youd be surprise how quickly the influence of the group that caused it will drain and how puppets can become the meisters

RevengencerAlf t1_jacwcel wrote

They literally staged a coup and tried to kill him to keep the surrender from happening and came plausibly close to success.

Halomir t1_jabvzx8 wrote

Woah sir! You’ve offered nuance of a sensitive historical topic on the internet. I’m almost positive that’s not allowed.

Avbjj t1_jacbpk3 wrote

Good post.

​

People forget that members of the Japanese ministry of war attempted to orchestrate a coup to prevent Hirohito from announcing a Japanese surrender after the 2 atom bombs.

He was a figurehead but he certainly didn't have absolute power. He was constrained in a unique way by what was expected of him as the high emperor.

the-moving-finger t1_jadx562 wrote

Did he ever try to exercise his authority to prevent the atrocities? If not, how can we ever know whether he was a puppet or not? It seems more likely to me that the high command deliberately shielded the Emperor from prosecution after the fact by downplaying his responsibility.