Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

chefranden t1_jaadcn6 wrote

My wife and I were still poor enough at those prices that we would split a Filet-o-fish.

Important_Box5685 t1_jabddk3 wrote

This is Deep. Wow!

chefranden t1_jac7gkr wrote

Working as a cook, I made $1.25/hr.

Important_Box5685 t1_jacwpzs wrote

I was making $3.35 when I-got my job at McDonald’s. Times changed. Minimum wages stayed so low. Still is to low for workers. Unfair. Very unfair.

To this day McDonalds was the hardest job I ever had. I loaded 18 wheelers by myself and they never understood how I did it with ease. I told them “I unloaded trucks from McDonald’s and was a cook too. This is nothing compared to breakfast, lunch or dinner rush”! lol 😂

warkyboy77 t1_jaanj9q wrote

I miss these signs.

just-a-stupid-bunny t1_jab4cop wrote

Do you know when they got rid of them? I don’t as born in 76 and kind of subconsciously I remember seeing signs like this at one point.

FrankDrakman t1_jaamy09 wrote

Hamburger, fries, and a Coke... and change back from your dollar!

That was a pretty effective ad at the time.

TheLastBlackRhino t1_jaaocfa wrote

$1 then is $6.07 today, so in real dollar terms it’s about the same if not cheaper now.

Bill-6969 t1_jab99pt wrote

Less labor required per store, I would assume?

1Arcite t1_jab2yjz wrote

The 1/4 Pounder with Cheese adjusted for inflation, $0.70 in 1974 is equal to $4.50 in 2023.

idliketoseethat t1_jaamqzk wrote

That 10 cent bump for a slice of cheese is what made Millions for McDonald's over the years. Prove me wrong!

mcfarmer72 t1_jaare4c wrote

And I made $2.25/hour working construction.

dustinhut13 t1_jaaunli wrote

There’s something you’ll never see again, a line INSIDE a McDonalds.

xlr8torr t1_jabckcd wrote

You could buy one of everything on that menu for what a 1/4 pound meal costs today.

BryanWythm t1_jabixrx wrote

Does the coffee price have a small sign next to it reading, “Mass old age tax ¢5”? Or what does it say?

Charlie_Runkle69 t1_jaaeaia wrote

Wait..Milk cost more than a coffee?

-NutsandVolts t1_jaafgpb wrote

Yes, coffee used to be a really cheap item until they realized how dumb consumers are and they could charge alot more.

BreadItMod t1_jaap6tg wrote

No it probably has more to do with global demand, the population is twice what it was then, it’s still the same few regions producing coffee beans though.

flippenstance t1_jabehak wrote

I worked at McDonalds in '76 and i think the basic hamburger had gone up to 32¢

krink68 t1_jabvct2 wrote

Born in ‘68 so I remember those prices. And there was no Coke machine so they gave us cans which I couldn’t drink a full can. Family would always eat at the McD’s on Woodruff and Del Amo in the city of Lakewood CA. Still there but I just go thru the drive thru now

GrumpyCatStevens t1_jad8awa wrote

Same here - born in 1967.

And in any case, at this time my family didn't go out to eat very often. Dad was less than ten years into his teaching career, and I'm not sure whether Mom worked at the time (I also have a younger sister, born in '70).

SarawakGoldenHammer t1_jac8qq5 wrote

Someone help me out here. The shakes… Chocolate, yes. Strawberry, yes. Vanilla, yes. Coffee, what?

Shempish t1_jae18qk wrote

They may not offer a coffee shake still, but they probably have at least a few variations of it on their McCafe menu now, like the Frappe.

noeljrG t1_jacxp95 wrote

Can McDonald's non-managerial staff afford a Mcdonald"s meal today?

GrumpyCatStevens t1_jad8f7l wrote

If they're anything like Wendy's was when I worked there, staff probably get a substantial break on any meal they have during a shift.

Wactout t1_jabuvp8 wrote

Is love a filet o fish from back then, right now. And a Big Mac. Because they’re really gross now.

−1

BirdzOnFire t1_jaalfds wrote

Yeah that's a nice business decision just give food away /s

−5