Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DavoTB t1_je350cj wrote

The third season episode here (November 12, 1978) was the week that Ray Charles did double duty as host and musical guest. This sketch featured most of the cast dressed as “The Young Causcasians,” singing a tame whitebread version of what they call ” What Did I Say.”

Garrett Morris was playing the role of Ray Charles’ manager; he and Ray appear elsewhere in the skit and after the Caucasians sing, Ray sings the song himself. Garrett typically seems like he’s forgotten his lines. The clip is available in its’ entirety on archive.org. The Ray Charles version is quite good. Elsewhere online are outtake photos from a rehearsal and some in color.

srichey321 t1_je2grx0 wrote

The most quotable show ever during that time.

psuedonymously t1_je335fe wrote

I guess Garrett was out circling Rockefeller Center looking for a parking space.

LGBTQMNOP t1_je3fvbq wrote

SNL reputation has been riding on this cast for 45 years.
All they need to do is just rebroadcast the first few seasons.

CplTenMikeMike t1_je2ocqc wrote

Back when SNL was actually funny.

TheListenerCanon t1_je57uuj wrote

Repost above...

People have been saying that since 1980 when all the originals left. The truth is SNL has always been hit and miss, even during the original era. That being said, I'd say this is the best era, but I respect almost all eras of SNL.

mdjmd73 t1_je36bus wrote

Back when SNL was funny. 👍👍

TheListenerCanon t1_je57s58 wrote

People have been saying that since 1980 when all the originals left. The truth is SNL has always been hit and miss, even during the original era. That being said, I'd say this is the best era, but I respect almost all eras of SNL.

bc2mnykdz t1_je2y8gh wrote

This cast will never be outdone. Some of the funniest skits ever on SNL

I-amthegump t1_je3sfrl wrote

I'm not sure they were ready for prime time

Gareth009 t1_je40krl wrote

SNL, All in the Family, Blazing Saddles, The Jefferson’s, Up in Smoke, I Dream of Jeannie, MASH, Animal House, Deer Hunter, Cuckoo’s Nest, Apocalypse Now . . . shows and movies they can’t or won’t make anymore.

SirGlenn t1_je5k0vw wrote

You can imagine what they're saying in this picture: Live, from New York

bkmo1962 t1_je73i61 wrote

Thankfully, I bought the 5 DVD box sets with all the shows—1975 to 80, back in the day. The only thing missing on those were the hand painted photos of the guest hosts that ran during breaks while the band played in the background. Since it was a live show, sometimes they would run long, so they cut those from the collection.

RedTrout811 t1_je7ymuv wrote

Very funny on (enough) cheap beer in a dorm room, about 1977.

EgoTwister t1_je46euz wrote

The famous cocaine crew. Aykroyd said they did that shit like it was coffee.

Pvdsuccess t1_je4fuhv wrote

When SNL was great. People actually got together to watch it.

Yogafist t1_je6hz7a wrote

Back when SNL was funny.

[deleted] t1_je2i2hu wrote

[removed]

−3

Melissab1512 t1_je2jo1d wrote

What! Jane curtin was in 3rd rock from the sun! She’s great! *edit: also coneheads! I can’t believe I forgot about that, it was an SNL skit

RespecDawn t1_je2mshw wrote

She also stated in Kate & Allie, a very popular sitcom in the 80s.

Jane Curtain is definitely famous for a lot of us.

Cover_Some t1_je2jqvd wrote

I've been wondering that too. I don't recognize any old female cast members

Swiggy1957 t1_je3hpsk wrote

Gilda Radner did several films, some with her husband, Gene Wilder. Sadly, she passed away in 1989.

Jane Curtain was a cast member of the shows Kate And Allie and later Third Rock From The Sun.

Loraine Newman had small, supporting roles in a number of movies through the 90s, including playing the aunt of Connie Conehead in The Coneheads. About that time, she started finding work as a voice actor, but as far as appearing in front of the camera, like her other post-SNL work, was always minor characters. She also does writing.

Cover_Some t1_je4p6cv wrote

So it looks like I'm just too young to recognize them lol thanks for the summary!

Swiggy1957 t1_je6yp4t wrote

No problem. I was wondering about Loraine Newman's lack of visibility, but I did some looking.

Yeah, I was already legally an adult when SNL debuted. Saw the first episode even. I think that lead to the disappearance of the Candygram. Long time SNL viewers will get that.

Cover_Some t1_je7njot wrote

I went through the cast since I've been an adult and there are a ton of names I recognize.

Still interesting how big the guys got and still are. Probably a result of the times where now people like Fey and Poehler can be huge

Swiggy1957 t1_je7qsb9 wrote

Yeah, my granddaughters were just in a play Tina Fey wrote: Mean Girls.

[deleted] t1_je317uo wrote

[removed]

−1

doctorplasmatron t1_je33cf8 wrote

lilly tomlin, rusty warren, belle barth, and sophie tucker are pioneers too

[deleted] t1_je356py wrote

[removed]

doctorplasmatron t1_je3fcxg wrote

not much straight about lilly tomlin ;-)

she had a character named ernestine that got quite popular in the standup acts

only_zuul21 t1_je31rxu wrote

Those are all of the women comedians you know? Or just the ones you know from the 70's and prior??

[deleted] t1_je325s6 wrote

[removed]

−4

only_zuul21 t1_je32awv wrote

Not finding someone funny isn't the same as not knowing who they are...

[deleted] t1_je35ap5 wrote

[removed]

only_zuul21 t1_je36f70 wrote

Fair enough. Humor is very subjective.

Jane Curtin is worth familiarizing yourself with, along with Gilda even her things without Gene Wilder.

Cover_Some t1_je32pm4 wrote

Well well well, you just showed who you are

−1

[deleted] t1_je3426b wrote

[removed]

Cover_Some t1_je34exa wrote

Give me your favorite quality joke