Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DWright_5 t1_iuid2ms wrote

Me too. Same same. I started again (after 24 years) because I’d gained a ton of weight from drinking too much. I cut out 80% of the alcohol and sort of replaced it with weed. I don’t think many doctors would tell you to do that, but my doc told me very sternly that I was risking serious health issues, and probably sooner than later, if I didn’t lose weight.

But, I knew from my past that daily weed use acts as an appetite depressant for me. So I did it. Now I’ve lost 60+ pounds, and my doc is thrilled. He didn’t even react much when I told him how I did it.

(Full disclosure: I did do a number of other things to facilitate the weight loss.)

toddhd OP t1_iuipsen wrote

That fantastic to hear, good for you! I'm glad you found what works for you, and yeah, both the weight loss AND the lack of alcohol will add years to your life, not to mention the quality of it.

At the time of this photo, I had a drug "problem". I used drugs so I wouldn't have to feel anything or deal with anything. I numbed out and stayed numb. It wasn't much of a life, and it took a suicide attempt for me to give it up.

That being said, I suffer from complex PTSD, depression and anxiety (among other things) due to extensive childhood trauma. That's what I was trying to drown out in the first place. Now, I've learned that I can use pot to "lower the volume" of the trauma, not to avoid dealing with it, but to get it to a level where I CAN deal with it. I've made huge strides in my mental and emotional health as a result, it's been a godsend.