Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

So_Do_You_Like_Stuff t1_iu6nv2v wrote

Oohhh, this is the big one. You hear that? Iā€™m coming Elizabeth!

ezio8133 t1_iu76l11 wrote

And that's exactly how he went out

So_Do_You_Like_Stuff t1_iu7aiqg wrote

Yep. Hopefully he met Elizabeth somewhere. Although, Iā€™m not one that believes in all of that.

L0st_in_the_Stars t1_iu6r3fk wrote

Before Sanford and Son, Redd was mainly known as a dirty comic, whose records were sold under the counter. After he got his hit television show, his live act would consist of a clean first half, and then a filthy second half after warning the easily offended to leave.

davtruss t1_iu86kes wrote

Just lost my brother a few months ago. He was 13 years older than me. I cannot tell you how often 4 yo me snuck out behind his Chevy Chevelle while he and his buddies were listening to Red Foxx.

By the time I came of age, Richard Pryor wasn't even shocking.

thechilecowboy t1_iu7bh8t wrote

Yeah man! I've always liked the cover of the album, "You Gotta Wash Yo Ass". What's Redd doing? Hugging the back end of a donkey.

es_mo OP t1_iu6nhth wrote

There was a good chunk of my childhood that I thought Friday night for adults meant dressing up in a suit to find a wife.

PnutButterSasquatch t1_iu6s9wr wrote

Also, the opening theme, Streetbeater by none other than Quincy Jones!

You big dummy!

es_mo OP t1_iu6v66i wrote

And I want to say Ray Charles doing Heat of the Night is also Q~

huggybearbrown t1_iu6s42a wrote

I always thought Lamont and his friend Rollo were cool.

es_mo OP t1_iu6tftn wrote

I felt Rollo was the Eddie Haskell of his day, but Fred was no Ward Cleaver

davtruss t1_iu888oq wrote

Fred would insult Rollo, and Rollo would just laugh.

And don't forget Grady, the friendly neighborhood police, and the Peurto Rican guy who also starred in Barney Miller. (Yikes, just looked him up and he just died in 2021 at the age of 84. Gregory Sierra.)

Neags t1_iu6p8rt wrote

The greatest regrets I have is not seeing Redds stand up show. I mean, did I think he would live forever?

Steve_Austin_OSI t1_iu6q33k wrote

Redds greatest regret is dying.

ElectricPeterTork t1_iu9c4uy wrote

It is said that when he died, it was on the set of his new show, he grabbed his chest having a heart attack, and people thought he was just trying to get laughs by doing his Fred Sanford bit.

DrBotanus t1_iu6puo5 wrote

"How would you like five across yoā€™ lip?"

okiedokiebrokie t1_iu6pmpo wrote

Iā€™m sorry, is Redd holding his junk and the other guy pointing at it?

scorpioinheels t1_iu6z9bz wrote

I feel like there were a million higher quality images of them together that could have been used to honor their legacy. Why use a grainy one that folks canā€™t look at around their kids?

I come to this sub for my more G rated content, and for as much as Iā€™m sure I watched every episode of Sanford and Son (and even learned to speak English from watching it), this ainā€™t it.

−1

Earl_N_Meyer t1_iu75rtb wrote

There were several 1970ā€™s shows that used marginalized characters in an attempt to be inclusive or at least different. Sanford and Son, Chico and the Man, and Welcome Back Kotter. If you compare them to Family Matters, or Head if the Class, or George Lopez, we really sanitized our inclusivity. Basically, everybody had to live like the Silver Spoons kid and race was a very special episode.

davtruss t1_iu88kad wrote

I'm no fan of the n-word, but that's exactly what Esther called Gripp when she found out he was claiming he had defiled Esther's sister.

lizard_king0000 t1_iu6siii wrote

Best theme song ever!

es_mo OP t1_iu6t9yc wrote

It's my ringtone

davtruss t1_iu88or2 wrote

God help me. I had a group of couple friends were a couple of folks claimed you lacked musical talent unless you could do the theme song using your vibrating lips as an instrument.

davtruss t1_iu871o3 wrote

The secondary characters in "Sanford and Son" were A-1. The drop ins by Aunt Esther (Lawanda page), the Bible thumping sister of Fred's late wife, Elizabeth, were comedy gold.

My favorite episode was when a cool cat showed up and claimed Lamont was HIS son, because he had snuck into Elizabeth's window back in the day. He even described which window. Fred wanted to kill him, but nothing beat the big reveal when Esther stopped by and Fred told her what the other dude was claiming.

After beating the dude with her purse, she yelled that SHE KNEW he was a lie because the window he claimed to climb into was HER window. It was only after she said it that she realized what that meant. :)

nonsense39 t1_iu715c3 wrote

I still watch them on YouTube; Fred, Lamont, Aunt Ester were classic.

Bajecco t1_iu7u5a4 wrote

Redd Foxx, LaWanda Page & Demond Wilson were all comedic geniuses. Brilliant off the cuff dialog and impeccable timing.

tchrbrian t1_iu7r9eb wrote

ā€œ This is my rifle, this is my gun. ā€œ