Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

erikarew t1_irw959l wrote

This has always been my reasoning for being against the death penalty. No danger of wrongfully killing an innocent person nor forcing the family of a convict to watch them die, and a more lingering punishment for actual deserving criminals.

Intelligent-Fox-4599 t1_irwg6gn wrote

Except Cali is so liberal it allows these criminals conjugal visits and they have offspring🙄Nothing against Cali but why breed murderers?

straight_up_tabled t1_irxepvu wrote

Why the downvotes? People are so fucked up

Intelligent-Fox-4599 t1_irxggmt wrote

I’m not taking it personally. I love California, I just don’t believe violent criminals should procreate.

Ralfarius t1_irykxue wrote

I kind of get where you're coming from, but what you're suggesting is dangerously close to advocating for eugenics.

Coupon_Ninja t1_irz8kog wrote

I think it’s more you don’t want to give killers that level of satisfaction. Don’t be cruel, but don’t let them be grandpas. That’s not a right.

DeylanQuel t1_irzw44e wrote

Their spouses did not commit crimes. Their spouses still have the right to have a family with the people they married. It's not so much about giving perks to the felons as it is not removing rights from someone else.

Belteshazzar98 t1_irz0047 wrote

So you support eugenics, with the government saying who is and isn't allowed to have kids?

−6

qh2150 t1_irwg7i7 wrote

Most families advocate for the closure of execution and the majority of death row inmates fight to get their executions stayed.

−7

erikarew t1_irwjh8j wrote

"Family members of murder victims share no single, uniform response to the death penalty, but two recent publications illustrate that a growing number of these families are now advocating against capital punishment." (Death Penalty Info.org)

qh2150 t1_irxaiad wrote

Right but “a growing proportion” is not a majority or even implicitly a large amount, which points to the fallacy there. Even just nationwide 65% of people (Pew) favor the death penalty and in the vast majority of death row cases the families continue to advocate for the penalty while convicts fight against it. Tells you all you need to know. Look at the casework.

−1