Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IdyllicOleander OP t1_iwywcha wrote

I watched it in class for the first time in elementary school (mid 90's) and for some reason I thought it went on for a lot longer than it did. Apparently it was only 13 episodes in 1984.

ZSpectre t1_iwyzq8c wrote

To this day, I remember what I'd do to purify sea water via a lengthy process using nothing but two jars and some leaves

amazingsandwiches t1_iwz512n wrote

Well don't just leave us hanging; I'm on a raft in the middle of The Pacific!

JmePie t1_iwzwo07 wrote

Me too! I think about this a lot, it’s my go to Survival move.

Bethymania t1_ix1r2bd wrote

The thing I remember most about that episode is the behind-the-scenes segment where little Ben Affleck went to the house of the guy who played the captain of the Mimi to see his home desalination experiments. I remember it because I thought the captain looked like he was high.

Weapon_X23 t1_iwz1mws wrote

There was a sequel in 1988 and that was my introduction to this series. I remember everyone else hating it in 5th grade, but I loved it because it was all about the Mayan empire.

Hairy_Stinkeye t1_ix02lv6 wrote

Tell me you’re from New England without telling me you’re from New England

Files44 t1_iwzxhxd wrote

I remember very little of the actual show, but I feel like we watched an episode every week in 6th grade (late 90’s 🤢).

Was there a woman with a missing arm in the show? For some reason I remember an amputee explaining “phantom feelings” in their arm; unless I am thinking of something completely different.

This was a very disjointed response to you but my mind is churning up all this nostalgia thanks to a single mention of the voyage of the Mimi. Whew.

Baranjula t1_ix19hkr wrote

Hahahaha pretty sure it was a deaf woman who felt vibrations in the ship to know what was happening.

MatthewMMorrow t1_ix1fd3n wrote

It was her leg! And it was The Second Voyage of the Mimi when they did archeology.

Files44 t1_ix1fqzf wrote

There were multiple Mimis?! Mimi? Mimi (pronounced me-my)? Mimis? How many Mimi were there?!

My, my.

MatthewMMorrow t1_ix1g8p8 wrote

Just the two. One year we did oceanography and the next we did archeology so we watched both. I liked the science interviews after the episodes. They seem to be on YouTube.

ZappyHeart t1_ix03hhs wrote

They had a second season where they go to South America.

pcpartthrowaway11 t1_ix21nxh wrote

That's it? It was literally long enough for Ben to live around Mexico and become fluent in spanish, dude is fluent to this day

Your_Daddy_ t1_ix2kkr1 wrote

In 84?

I watched it in 7th grade, that would have been around 1988-89…

Makes sense, it did feel kind of old dated at the time.

kickler t1_ix2ujvt wrote

me too! Sixth grade science i think. Laser disc was wild