Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

McDof t1_j6aqy0g wrote

I've seen a lot of photos from that era before. But for some reason this one makes the 50's feel real and familiar. Something about it...can't quite put my finger on it.

Ok_Caramel_7383 OP t1_j6ar9wy wrote

I think it might be the quality of the photos. All of them were saved onto slides. I hope it made you feel happy! (I feel so lucky to have them preserved like they are) Susan

gonzo8927 t1_j6aspra wrote

Same exact feeling here

McDof t1_j6b02jm wrote

It's like you know when you're reading about stuff the great depression or watching some old movie? And like obviously yeah it's real. But it's so dated and foreign to you that part of you feels like it's not even real or something?

For some odd reason this picture gave me the "holy shit that is from the 1950's and that person is real and are on the same planet I'm on now" feeling.

Possibly because it's colorized, but also I think it has to do with what she's wearing and what she's doing.

Sweater and Bluejeans, wash bucket on the ground, dog acting like a goober.

Besides the car there isn't much dated about the image. I have similar pictures from my childhood (mid to late 90's) that contain almost the same types of emotions, clothing etc.

It's familiar.

Unlike other photos from the 50's of men in suits/hats or slicked back greaser hair, or long skirts or something.

Or at least that's what I think it is

RodenbachBacher t1_j6bq7vx wrote

I think yes her sweatshirt for me. That could be worn by anyone today.

SpaceGypsy79 t1_j6aqz82 wrote

I want to know what’s going on with the dog.

Ok_Caramel_7383 OP t1_j6armve wrote

That was Flash and I think the inner tube looking thing was like the cone things they have now to keep the dog from bothering a surgery something or other.

Carcosa504 t1_j6argl4 wrote

God damn Americana if I've ever seen it.

djoctoveemo t1_j6ax6h6 wrote

This picture doesn’t look 50s

OJXL t1_j6cmqhp wrote

The houses look more similar to the ones in the 1990s. I had a feeling that the houses were more like the ones you'd see in the Fallout games. I think this is why it looks "real" the only thing that looks like it's from the 50s is the car. Even her hair and the colour of the photo doesn't seem like it's a 1950s photo.

daneonwayne t1_j6ffxzr wrote

To those saying this doesn't look like the 50's: Photo's can be colorized after they were taken, the all! bucket matches ones from the 1950's and the likelihood of having 3 cars from that era in 1 picture is unlikely unless the photo was intentionally staged, which we have no evidence of.