Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jeronisaurus t1_j6hwcy4 wrote

a line in each checkout. that cant be right as my target only ever has..1 maybe 2 people working registers

Torkzilla t1_j6i03pu wrote

I worked at a superstore about 20 years ago and it had 30 checkout lanes and 15-16 of them were staffed with humans at all time. Even late night there were 4-5 open. The automated registers and completely unstaffed huge swath of checkout lanes is a very recent phenomenon.

pirate135246 t1_j6i8f8c wrote

It was like this back in the early 2010s if I remember correctly. Self checkout came out and very quickly wiped out cashier positions

Whateveryousaydude7 t1_j6isi45 wrote

I’d always rather have a checker. And will willingly wait in line for one.

Augen76 t1_j6jtedm wrote

The worst is they have a line "wrangler" and when I am content to wait in line for a cashier they go "sir, I have self check out lane right here available for you" and I'm like "I'm fine here, thank you" and they get oddly pushy about it.

I didn't design your shop to have capacity of 12 registers and then staff 3 of them and make the lines be so long they run back into the shopping aisles.

Whateveryousaydude7 t1_j6jxs91 wrote

Plus you need a fuss made in the self checkout if you have alcohol in your cart. I’d rather just wait on line for a human being. Plus I actually enjoy talking with most of them and have known them for years.

gateguard64 t1_j6jhvak wrote

I'm curious to see if the pendulum swings back again. Supposedly they are taking it in the shorts with shoplifting.

callahan09 t1_j6jac9j wrote

My local Target has only 4 self-checkout machines and very close to literally never has any staffed checkout lanes open. I've never seen more than 1 staffed checkout lane open at a time, and about 90% of the time there's zero. If they're going to do this, they could at least get rid of like 15 out of 18 staffed checkout lanes and put in more self-checkout machines so that people don't have to wait in a 30-deep line to self-checkout since 90% of the checkout area is space occupied by staffed checkout lanes that aren't open. It's ridiculous.

Maverick_1882 t1_j6j5jkq wrote

Right? My local Target has one self-serve lane, the customer service lane, and maybe one other lane open. I don’t go to Target because seeing the long lines to check out is frustrating.

shipwrekd_sailor t1_j6k0l62 wrote

I recently saw an ask Reddit question, asking people why they use self-checkout. My answer would have been because that's all that is available anymore. Because Target Walmart the grocery store.. no matter where you're at, there's like one checker in 15 self checkout stands. With the exception of Aldi's. Oddly, the most common answer was from introverts who didn't want to talk to people saying that's why they use the self checkout. Does nobody realize that self-checkout is eventually going to take out all the workforce. It's already happened. Target is staffed at its bare minimum. If you happen to live in one of those neighborhoods where they lock everything inside of a glass cabinet, try waiting around on a Saturday to get something out of that cabinet and see how long it takes for one of the employees to show up. But meanwhile.. I did see about 10 different employees pushing shopping carts around for online orders

Number6isNo1 t1_j6khqbz wrote

And Aldi is looking to implement self checkout, which will fucking suck. The lines move fast as Aldi because they checkers are good. Imagine mee-maw trying to scan her shit and fucking it up. I dread the day.