Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Wuz314159 t1_j6q5uha wrote

We have the internet and everything in r/ReadingPA. It's almost like a real city. Almost.

Mt Penn has some good mountain bike trails. Neversink too. Drugs are also popular, but try not to get caught up in a gang war. Museum & Planetarium are cute. Lots of pop-up events in summer that you need to check the calendar for.

CrzyDave t1_j6qh78l wrote

There is hiking on Neversink Mountain. I live hear here and always want to go to the Witches Hat up there but have never done it yet.

xRarex0nex t1_j6qbrjr wrote

Just don't look up their sad Christmas tree

Wuz314159 t1_j6qd2qr wrote

*Our

The city had to spend PUBLIC MONEY to buy a real fake tree because of that debacle. That tree was donated. It looked better in the woods.

Castor_and_Pollux123 t1_j6qb20r wrote

Mid-Atlantic Air Museum air show, June 2, 3, 4.

It's pretty cool (just bring your own food).

artificialavocado t1_j6row9j wrote

This is an excellent suggestion I live about an hour for there but could never find anyone who wanted to go with me. Museums aren’t for everyone I guess.

Archpa84 t1_j70079m wrote

The air show is really cool. WWII aircraft and the folks who fly them. Before they take to the air you can walk up and check them out.

relaxificate t1_j6qegwr wrote

From the Pagoda, walk through the woods to Peace Rock. Blue marsh park is nice. If you can drive over to St Peter’s Village, that’s very worth the trip. Cell service is bad there.

shermanhelms t1_j6vpegb wrote

Get a cheesesteak at Tony’s of West Reading. It’s better than 99.9% of the joints in Philly. Pizza is legit too.

stinkapottamus t1_j6q3wce wrote

Wow so crazy. I’ve lived close to the pagoda for my entire life and I have never gone there. I’m currently living less than 10 mins from there. I’m going to give this question some thought and get back to you! What are your interests?

Marcy595 OP t1_j6q4ewq wrote

I looked up the comic shops and I see there's two of them I'm going to go to. I like to learn the history of places. But I will say I'm only going to be there for about a day.

CardiBsKnees t1_j6q5v5h wrote

Symbiote in West Reading should be one. Penn Ave is a cool area with a bunch of restaurants and beer places if you want to grab lunch. Very walkable area as well.

Wuz314159 t1_j6qdbjd wrote

>I like to learn the history of places.

1871 - The Reading Railroad is the largest corporation on Earth. (Coal = King)

1977 - Bankrupt

2011 - America's Poorest City

stinkapottamus t1_j6q4per wrote

Nice, would love to hear what you think of it! Maybe I will go check it out myself one of these days.

Jadepizza t1_j6qaji3 wrote

the pagoda can get super crowded and unenjoyable if it's a really nice day- sometimes it's better at night or super early in the morning for the sun rise! there's a lot of good hole in the wall restaurants. for food go to penn ave there's a few breweries and nicer places. sly fox and beer wall are super good. for pretty nature definitely check out blue marsh :)

Marcy595 OP t1_j6qbbcr wrote

I don't drink but I was definitely thinking about going there at night, but it's a state park right? I don't have to pay for admission? And do you have any recommendations for restaurants?

SamHandwich124 t1_j6q8fsv wrote

Honestly most of Reading is a pretty scary place. I worked there for a couple months and 2/10 do not recommend. Also, I’m not the afraid of cities type. I’m in Philadelphia all the time and it’s not nearly as sketchy for the most part.

xRarex0nex t1_j6qbymv wrote

Reading certainly has a vibe to it lol

SamHandwich124 t1_j6qde60 wrote

Yeah I know I’m going to get downvoted, but I’m just being honest. It’s a little bit sketchy everywhere. The city has some beautiful architecture though. There’s plenty of awesome art deco buildings. There’s even good food. The whole place just has a backdrop of crime, poverty, and desperation that is kind of hard to reconcile with while you’re there.

artificialavocado t1_j6rorrw wrote

It is poor there but I can’t say it’s much worse than Philly or any other city.

SamHandwich124 t1_j6s9cqz wrote

It’s literally ranked the second poorest city in the country. Reading is like the worst parts of Philadelphia took over 80 percent of the city. It’s completely different.

Wuz314159 t1_j6qdtgi wrote

When you can buy a house for $16k, that happens.

SprungBreak99 t1_j6qfefr wrote

Check out any of the farmers markets as well. Def some cool spots.

IamSauerKraut t1_j6rywu2 wrote

Conrad Weiser Homestead is not far from city limits, just a bit west on 422.