Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

theSG-17 t1_j7g7djw wrote

All of the river islands between Sunbury and Harrisburg should be state property for public use.

TheOperaGhostofKinja t1_j7gchu9 wrote

My dad used to be an Island Steward. A few times a year, spring through fall, he’d go out to his assigned islands, clean them up and just make sure they were in good shape.

egJohn t1_j7gdnos wrote

my dad grew up in Landisville and told me stories of him and his friends canoeing out to the islands and camping under the stars.

ScienceWasLove t1_j7hdjq9 wrote

Don’t worry. Soon they will be full of trash because the state ain’t paying to clean them.

Blexcr0id t1_j7k5j9e wrote

Truth. Why do folks leave trash and shit everywhere? Pack it out plz.

Luvs2spooge89 t1_j7gguht wrote

One of them was used by the Boy Scouts when I was a lad. Across the way from the isle of Q

baron4406 t1_j7gvaec wrote

When I was a kid my dad and I and a few friends would take a 3 day canoeing trip starting in the Juniata and ending up in the Susquehanna. We'd camp on the islands. My dad is long gone now and seeing this brings up this memories.

baldude69 t1_j7ix8v2 wrote

They sound like nice memories. Thank you for sharing, it keeps them alive

buffetcaptain t1_j7gwu7v wrote

Does that include the tiny Statue of Liberty?

cmilkrun t1_j7iicd2 wrote

I always chill on these when I kayak. Good fishing spots. Now I know who owns them.

EmpiricalAnarchism t1_j7g0p9z wrote

I wanted to buy those, makes me sad.

CreeperIan02 t1_j7gagbs wrote

I'm gonna declare squatters rights on the islands

ho_merjpimpson t1_j7gphe2 wrote

i was curious what was required for squatters rights in pa, so i looked it up. you would have to be there for 21 years, and during that time, not leave for more than a week stretch, and the neighbors and property owners would have to be notified. and there are a slew of simple things that could make it void, such as the property being posted..

so it would be pretty hard, if not impossible, to pull off. but i wish you well in your journey.

finaldraftsucks t1_j7gtcld wrote

Look up “Adverse Posession.” It’s the legal term for squatters rights.

ho_merjpimpson t1_j7gv5kg wrote

I did. and those are the legal requirements for squatters rights/adverse possession, in PA

DonBoy30 t1_j7kgefm wrote

So much land around my way is privately owned in weird family trusts that go completely unused or unmanaged. I’ve noticed the state buying up stuff around and I hope it really continues.

I’ve never lived in a state on the east coast with such a vast state public lands system. The Game Commission and DCNR rival federal land agencies, and we are spoiled for it.

Sybertron t1_j7hs89c wrote

Always seemed like it could be a potential destination if allowed. Kinda like how Thousand Islands NY is .