Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

whomp1970 t1_j7uovmw wrote

I can't fathom how the cost of those robots is worth it. Sending an underpaid teenager up and down the aisles to look for spills has to be cheaper.

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I'd believe you if you told me it was some kind of mobile loss prevention thing. The harmless robot is watching you.

Semi-Hemi-Demigod t1_j7uq79n wrote

The worst part about it is that it can't even do anything about the spills. An employee could bring a mop and bucket and stuff to actually clean it up. This thing just beeps.

Why didn't they put an industrial-strength Roomba on it so it could clean up the spills?

mandar35 t1_j7wg0z5 wrote

Yeah they just stop and block the aisle and say something over and over

NativePA t1_j7vhtum wrote

It’s not too hard to fathom. It’ll pay for itself in a few months vs a teenager. Also highly doubt it’s for theft or recording you. That’s ludicrous there are cameras overhead with better angles. An awkward robot that moves at 0.1 mph isn’t monitoring for theft.

The info from your bonus card tendencies is way more valuable.

Jef_Wheaton t1_j7w2nr0 wrote

Just having the eyes on it will reduce shrink. There have been studies about how people will behave more honestly if they think they're being watched, even by eyes painted on the wall.

That thing followed me around in the Harrisburg Martin's store when I was visiting friends a few weeks ago. I just grabbed some gouda cubes and got out of its range.

dogmomdrinkstea t1_j7utg4j wrote

100%, also not into conspiracies but I say that all the time. A single one costs thousands of dollars, I also think it's to record/deter shoplifting.

SideIndividual639 t1_j82pr9z wrote

They could have put a lot of mentally disabled people to work as cleanup crews instead of paying for those damn things. It irritates me they automated a job when they could pay a person to do the same thing. A person who could use a job that needs minimal skill and would benefit immensely from the independence it would give them.