Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ArcherChase t1_j8ud57t wrote

Simple question to those who support the death penalty.

How many executions of innocent people becomes an unacceptable amount? Is it acceptable to have 1 innocent person executed? 2? 10?

Ultimately and specifically because of how broken our system of "justice" has become, innocent people will be murdered by the State. Once that happens, there is no moral or legal or acceptable standing to continue.

delco_trash t1_j8wfsn6 wrote

I'm for the death penalty in very narrow situations such as the person is on camera commiting the homicide, and with a higher standard than reasonable doubt.

Ex. Someone robs a bank and shoots a teller in the face with a shotgun. There's cell phone footage, no alibi, CCTV, and several eye witnesses who provide testimony.

In that case I'd be for it.

But even then there would need to be aggravating circumstances.

However, this is so rare, and this isn't the current standard, so as it stands under the system, a moratorium isn't entirely bad.

Traditional_Formal33 t1_j8wsvov wrote

In todays age we have deep fake videos and college kids creating amazing visual art that looks real so even that type of evidence becomes sketchy.

I appreciate you speaking up for your view. I think my qualms about death penalty are two fold:

1. The legal costs usually amount more than life in prison so we aren’t saving any effort just killing.
  2. The person doesn’t get a chance to rehabilitate or feel remorse for their actions. We don’t know if there’s a hell or afterlife so we are really just cutting their sentence down to nothing

I think of the absolute worst person in the world, Hitler, and he chose the death penalty over being imprisoned. He robbed us of actually holding him accountable. If I want hitler to rot in a cell, there’s no one worse that I would rather just die and we move on from.

zeroliger t1_j8vn1n4 wrote

0 innocent executions is acceptable any more and its a failure