Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

the_dorf t1_j8zrjf7 wrote

Well the downtown is less touristy than the Battlefield area, but has a variety of shops (i.e. a celtic shop was unexpected).

Newville is alright, I loved running on the Cumberland Valley Rail-Trail last month. Wanted to do more, but I was tight on time and found a Shoo-fly pie at a barn grocery near Carlisle. I also like going to BBs near Newburg too. Newville also has a craft brewery (an article from The Burg), but I haven't checked it out yet.

IamSauerKraut t1_j8zvam2 wrote

G/burg's downtown is plenty crowded during the summer. Check out the chocolate shop, the Christmas Haus shop and the Polish Pottery shop. Then go down to Mr. G's for the ice cream. :-) If you time it right, you might catch a Bullets xc race in the northern end of town.

There's a craft cheese maker east of Newburg but I've not located it yet.

Further west, one of these days, imma head over to Port Royal and follow either Rt 35 or 75 up the Tuscarora Creek. Reed's Gap, McCoysville, East Waterford, Waterloo, all the way down to 76 and then back up.

the_dorf t1_j8zy62h wrote

One thing I do like about Perry/Mifflin county are the drives on the state highways...nothing like quietness, farms, and rolling hills for miles on end. PA 274 from Blain to PA 75 is just stunning.