Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

IamSauerKraut t1_j9aa3qz wrote

>Especially in rural areas, you can be seen as the new guy and potential troublemaker if you stir the pot down at the township complaining about others. Being polite and helpful to neighbors help while mostly minding your own business otherwise. Also if you happen to be a Democrat putting out political signs supporting liberal policies or Democratic candidates is certainly your right but sure won't be helpful if living on a particularly Trumpy back road. Might be advisable to keep your politics confidential in the voting booth.

This is not how it should be in America.

Allemaengel t1_j9ab0r2 wrote

I totally agree.

But I'm pragmatic and want OP to be successful in making this move.

I've lived in hardcore Republican and mostly rural areas my entire life and I'm very moderate to mildly-progressive. I never discuss how I feel on topics and more just listen to everyone else. It has served me well.

The thing is, I really like living in the country, and to me this is a minor concession to do so and get along OK with people here.

heili t1_j9belbd wrote

If you move out to the rural where people have a shooting range on their property and start complaining about the noise, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you move next door to a farm and start complaining about the smell of cow shit, you're gonna have a bad time.

Moving somewhere and then telling everyone who's already there that they're doing everything wrong and they need to change to suit you is never a good look.

IamSauerKraut t1_j9bfty4 wrote

I live within earshot of 2 gun clubs. I've yet to lodge a complaint.

I lived on a farm as a kid. And live in farm country now. I only complain when driving by a sewer plant. Nothing smells as bad as human poop getting "digested."

But you remain silent about the signs. Guessing you like the mastro and dumpster fire signs....

heili t1_j9bieem wrote

I don't give one shit what kind of political signs people put up on their own property.