Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

zorionek0 OP t1_j9ue4km wrote

Oh that’s sweet. I hope you can celebrate together next year. What does a family Diwali party look like?

chocobridges t1_j9ui14q wrote

Lots of food. I usually make all the deep fried stuff. Pakoras, puris, that sort of thing. There are lots of sweets but I'm not a huge fan of the traditional stuff so the new trend is to adjust European desserts with South Asian flavors (ex: chai or rose cardamom tiramisu).

The activities are super kid friendly. My toddler basically played with all the urlis (wide dish with flowers and candles) we had out like they were water sensory bins. There are rangoli designs and painting of the lamps (deepas/diyas).

2023 landed pretty close to Halloween so we decorated in Halloween colors. This year is veterans day but I'm just going to combine thanksgiving with it since I'm hosting a smaller gathering. We usually do a large typical American thanksgiving with Indian sides since my extended family is interreligious. But I'm making it South Asian inspired this year. My kid will be making samosa turkeys instead of hand turkeys this year (https://youtu.be/_PhdTTrKPU8) 🤣.

zorionek0 OP t1_j9v7sb9 wrote

Oh that sounds really delicious. I hope your family has a happy Diwali!