Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CRNPandACHPN OP t1_jecbqyb wrote

Good information. The thing is my children are both straight A students without any academic accommodations. Both are active in sports in and outside of the school. There have been zero accommodations. I just do not want a barrier to participation in normal school activities. Just let them on the bus. (Public school bus at that.)

SeptasLate t1_jechhtl wrote

As you should, all kids deserve those same opportunities with as few barriers as possible.

Is the 1:1 chaperone a school policy or is it something that you agreed to during some type of meeting while discussing their disabilities?

Depending on your experience with the school so far, I would personally have a meeting to see if any accommodations or compromise could be made, if not I would seek advice from a lawyer that specialized in education or special education. This is largely based on growing up with a sibling with a disability and how my parents went about issues like this.

Unfortunately I don't know too much about private schools, but this would be open and shut at a public school.

CRNPandACHPN OP t1_jecq5z3 wrote

It seems to be a school wide policy. There was never a formal meeting. We are now on the third principle in the 8 years our kids have been there. While it has been a problem all along it is now being aggressively enforced. They demanded a chaperone today for an even held within the same school system. This was literally to attend a play at the high school she will attend in less than a year. I chaperone my own kids at some field trips as well as the child of a friend who is diabetic. I'm a type 1 myself and never had this bullshit growing up. I drafted a letter to the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Its in the mail box presently. I may send a copy to the bishop. I am debating the press as well.

SeptasLate t1_jeg5f9v wrote

Yeah, requiring that for the high school is even more ridiculous. It has to be based on some liability concern. Good luck with getting it changed.