Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

internetcommunist t1_jdl39ka wrote

Fuck hope the employees are okay and if this is a result of employer negligence people go to fucking jail over this. Dying at work is like my biggest fear.

12darrenk t1_jdlzjyh wrote

At least 2 dead and 9 unaccounted for at this time. I kinda of doubt this was employer negligence, but you never know. All signs are pointing to a natural gas explosion. Could have been a freak thing or an accident that caused the leak/explosion.

vintageideals OP t1_jdmccg4 wrote

Yeah, I’m waiting to hear the official cause. I keep hearing it was a gas explosion as well.

NeilPoonHandler t1_jdmh2rr wrote

Apparently it’s up to 5 people dead now and 6 missing :(

12darrenk t1_jdmleue wrote

That information has been corrected at a news conference. 2 dead, 5 still unaccounted for. Supposedly the earlier information came from PEMA. It's a bit concerning that the state is giving out information that has to be corrected by local officials.

ronreadingpa t1_jdlxhhg wrote

Very rarely does anyone ever serve time let alone even get convicted unless they are extremely negligent. Then often what happens is the person(s) are arrested with much fanfare to appease the public. However, then the case drags out or is quietly dropped. Alternatively, goes to trial, but case is dismissed, or is acquitted, or found not guilty. Or if found guilty, likely gets probation or does a little time with early release / suspended sentance. Extremely rare for anyone to serve out serious prison time.

Frequent viewers of disaster videos (ie. YT channels: Fascinating Horror and Plainly Difficult) are familiar with how the company / owners / executives often get off with maybe some low-level employee taking the fall.

In short, it's employee beware. If the pay isn't worth the risk, seek out something else. If conditions are dangerous, don't assume the employer will do much or care. Sometimes the only option is to quit.

StyreneAddict1965 t1_jdlu1xp wrote

No one in corporate America goes to jail. But businesses are people, right?