Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

portguy79 t1_jatqrrn wrote

No clue what they’re talking about, the Lehigh valley is really booming with development, jobs, etc.

Allentown is ok, the west side is very nice and downtown has definitely gotten an upgrade with new development. Crime is relatively contained to a small portion of the city- but crime isn’t as bad as locals will make it out to seem. Allentown is a part of the greater Lehigh valley that has two other cities, Bethlehem and Easton-which both have thriving downtowns with great restaurants-as well as a bunch of other towns and townships.

spartacuscollective t1_jats7qk wrote

Not a Billy Joel fan I take it

[deleted] t1_jau617k wrote

I thought it was mandatory for every Lehigh Valley resident to know that song by heart

polgara_buttercup t1_jaurwbi wrote

Moved to Allentown in 1983, my mom bought me Nylon Curtain and said look he has a song named Allentown on it!! It’s a great place!!

Mom was never one to pay attention to the lyrics.

comicnerd93 OP t1_jatr1m2 wrote

Thank you. Like I said I'd be transferring branches within my bank. so not super worried about jobs. Finance is a writer by trade but has retail and data entry experience.

SampleShrimp t1_jau963v wrote

He was referencing a Billy Joel song called Allentown. His comment was made up lyrics from the song.

comicnerd93 OP t1_jaugaj7 wrote

Ahh...forgive my ignorance

marijuanamaker t1_jauhh64 wrote

Unless you’re a Billy Joel fan, or Lehigh Valley resident, I think it’s okay that you’re unaware and you’re not actually ignorant.

DisplayNo146 t1_jaudx8a wrote

Lived there off and on. Agree with this poster. Its only a part of the greater lehigh valley. I personally prefer Bethlehem but am considering easton. I put center city Allentown third on my list. I think the crime is contained but having lived in all 3 locations it is easy to move one block from the west side and immediately sense a more uncontrolled environment.

The entire lehigh Valley job market is booming.

MeadowLedger t1_jaxghdt wrote

portguy79, They are quoting lyrics from a 1980's Billy Joel song. It is titled Allentown and it talks about changing times as Bethlehem Steel was shutting down. Everyone knew someone that worked at Bethlehem Steel and the changes it brought broke the hearts of some.

And you are right, the area has bounced back and is booming. Like any metropolis, we have "good" areas and "not so good" areas.