Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

monachopsiss t1_jb3s3xh wrote

Get all set up with the insurance first, you can just give the agent the make and model if you don't have the VIN yet. Explain you're about to buy it, on X date. And then once you have purchased it on X date, call them back and confirm all the info and ask for it to take effect that day. You can literally just call from the car before you drive away and finalize it quickly.

XxItsAwigxX OP t1_jb4ii4k wrote

That makes a lot of sense. I've spoken to so many people who say I needed to know which car I'm buying before having insurance; I wish they had explained that it's possible to work with an agent before buying a specific car.

monachopsiss t1_jb4z2nl wrote

Definitely give an agent a call, every one I've ever dealt with been extremely nice and accommodating and will walk you through everything! (Progressive is who I dealt with when I was in your situation. It's not rare at all, they'll tell you exactly what you need to do). They all want your business, so it's in their best interest to be nice and help you out! You don't even need to know a specific agent, just call the general number and you'll get connected with someone who can help. If you end up liking them, get their extension and call them exclusively. Good luck! :)