Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Unique-Public-8594 t1_je5ayo4 wrote

These poor kids. No one should grow up with this fear. 😢

Travis123083 t1_je5c4iq wrote

We've been growing up in fear since Columbine and 9/11.

johnhd t1_je5ez22 wrote

For real, I remember people calling in bomb threats a few times per school year back in the 2000s, and that was way before social media was around to give kids stupid ideas.

Travis123083 t1_je5gdbb wrote

I can remember the day columbine happened. We went into lockdown and were never allowed backpacks in halls again.

SwanPuzzleheaded4304 t1_je5gu8b wrote

My HS had bomb threats a lot too. They would check our bags when we arrived to make sure nobody had a weapon or anything.

Unfamiliar_Word t1_je5l5il wrote

They seemed to happen particularly often during weeks when there were a lot of tests being administered, as I recollect.

Critical_Band5649 t1_je6bsdz wrote

Right? I was 9 when Columbine happened. Now my kids are in elementary school and it's a whole new level than we had growing up. It used to be disgruntled/bullied high school kids, that was the worry. Now it can be grown adults waltzing into schools to kill innocent elementary aged kids who they've never met.

My son was the same age as the kids who died at Uvalde. We had a brief but heartbreaking conversation about it. 9 year olds aren't supposed to live with that fear but here we are, 2nd generation in a row.

Travis123083 t1_je6mdp2 wrote

I remember going to school before all this, and my parents never had to worry about whether I'd be shot or not. The biggest worry was cars hitting us or being kidnapped.

gslavik t1_je8tz7l wrote

Sad thing about Columbine is that the shooters were the bullies. They were also into Nazis for some weird reason.

avowed t1_je5pffj wrote

Duck and cover drills during the cold war.