Submitted by njherdfan t3_11kewbd in Pennsylvania

I've temporarily moved in with my in-laws and I need to get a new license before we move into our new home in a few months. Since I'm living rent-free with my in-laws for a bit, I don't have any utility bills or a lease/mortgage documents. What I do have, however, is my W2 and my car insurance card, both with my in-laws' address. I'm trying to figure out if I can go to the DMV on my own and get a license or if I need to take one of them along with me as my second form of ID.

When I look at the DMV website, I get conflicting information. The Form DL-180R says you need to submit two of the following, and lists both the W-2 and the auto insurance card, so according to that form, I have what I need. But, this PUB 195 US form lists only six forms of acceptable documentation for proof of residency, and I only have one of them (the W-2).

• Tax Records
  • Lease Agreements
  • Mortgage Documents
  • W-2
  • Current Weapons Permit
  • Utility Bills

I'd prefer not to have to take one of my in-laws to the DMV, but I also very much do not want to go to the DMV with a W-2 and proof of auto insurance and be told that I can't get a license. Does anyone know which of the conflicting forms on the DMV site are accurate? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Comments