Submitted by pondp t3_11lod97 in Pennsylvania

I moved from a different state to PA last year. I am a bit confused since I got a letter from the Keystone Collection Group saying I need to do local taxes with them.

​

To be honest, I have never heard about filing local taxes, but the keystone collection group seems to be legit.

​

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mrboozer t1_jbdhwny wrote

Yes you will file State and Local separately. Keystone Collection Group is one of a few of the local tax collectors. They are not very well-liked.
It's very simple stuff and can be done online.

TSUTigers95 t1_jbe5tyf wrote

Local taxes are to be taken out by your employer. Just complete the necessary form and know your local township or whoever it is paid to, and the tax rate.

hamerfreak t1_jbeiwnx wrote

I'm in NEPA and have to file with Berkheimer. I have a 1% local tax which is deducted from my pay. The local tax is easy to file and if you have it deducted it is a wash. But yes state and local taxes as far as I know at least in the township I am in.

ButtBlock t1_jbet0xe wrote

It blows my mind that the state doesn’t just collect taxes on behalf of counties and local municipalities. Like when we lived in NYC it was 4 lines on the state tax return. These local collection companies take all sorts of fees and so forth, like our borough collects a 10 USD / year residency fee. But there’s a 3 USD convenience fee if you file online. Somebody’s getting kick backs I’m sure.

srpayj t1_jbezzuh wrote

It’s worse than that. It’s totally inconsistent. Some places it property. Some places it’s income. Some it both. I used to work for a large corporation based in another state. They could not deduct from my paycheck as it was too complex for the payroll system.

IamSauerKraut t1_jbf4czs wrote

PA buries folks with nuisance taxes.

Occupation Privilege.

Fire.

Fire Hydrant.

Street Light.

Per Capita.

Municipal.

County.

School District.

Earned Income Tax.

Personal Income Tax.