Submitted by medicallyspecial t3_11m6hx0 in Pennsylvania

Hey everyone! Just curious how I can do my PA vehicle registration & getting my PA plates?

I read the site and it says I’d have to drive to Harrisburg?? That’s a 2hr drive from Philly. Did I misinterpret it or is there a virtual /by-snail mail option?

Also curious best place to get safety inspection done? Need to replace windshield due to a small crack and replace a light unit but otherwise car should be good to go

Thanks folks :)

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SnapCrackleMom t1_jbg4mj7 wrote

Google "title and tag place Philadelphia." Pennsylvania is weird. You can go to a local, private business for plates.

For a mechanic/inspection place, you're probably better off asking in the Chat Around and Find Out thread on r/Philadelphia

LibrarianLoves t1_jbg99tv wrote

Here's the info from the DMV regarding moving to PA. https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/New-Resident-Relocation-Information/New%20Residents/Pages/default.aspx . You don't have to go to Harrisburg, just do a search for your local DMV office.

Almost every dealership and repair shop is also an inspection station. Maybe ask your new neighbors or coworkers for recommendations.

festerwl t1_jbg9gae wrote

Just a heads up you'll need a PA ID before you can get the title/registration if you don't already have one.

pa_bourbon t1_jbhsg4k wrote

Once you have a PA Drivers license, any AAA location can help you, even if you are not a member.

You’ll have ten days after the trip to AAA to get the vehicle inspected.

medicallyspecial OP t1_jbhu3pm wrote

Thanks! Am a member - how can they help?

pa_bourbon t1_jbhu9c7 wrote

They can transfer the title into PA, register the vehicle and give you the PA plate.

SoStokedSoStoked t1_jbiz39x wrote

I don’t know where you are in Philly, but my friend has a Subaru and goes to Don’s Auto Repair on Passyunk and is really happy with the service and price

medicallyspecial OP t1_jbljd18 wrote

Thank you! This is near where I live and looks great - legit cannot thank you enough

Prestigious-Buy1774 t1_jbk9mzv wrote

A notary public should be able to help you with registration. Be sure to have valid insurance card on hand. Get your windshield replaced BEFORE you take it for inspection. When it is replaced, ask the installer to give you the corner piece with the current sticker on it, so the inspection station can see it b4 they inspect. If it fails inspection due to the damage, you will need it done b4 they can issue the sticker anyway. If it would happen to pass the way it is and they put sticker on it, once you replace the windshield, you only have a specific amount of days to get it re inspected again. Save yourself the fee...