Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mynamemightbealan t1_jbx86g1 wrote

I do think it's a lazy diagnosis but it definitely is hard to add a name to it. I agree with what the problem is but I don't think that psychiatrists are as nefarious as you're making them out to sound. There is definitely some maladaptive behavior going on and the psychiatrists are trying to help reduce that. I never worked on the medical side of things and was only concerned with the psychology of things. I think we'd probably agree that a lot of bad parenting leads to issues that we see in people diagnosed with ODD and I'm a huge proponent of therapy to help people overcome that. There are some fringe cases where certain people are so disregulated that they need some sort of mood stabilizer just to maintain their emotions enough to make progress, but I think the vast majority are capable over improving their lives without meds. They also want to need to change their lives. No person with behavioral challenges changes based on involuntary treatment. Personally, I think involuntary commitment should be reserved for psychotic and mood disorders. Also most likely autism and certain time of intellectual and cognitive disorders.