Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TxGinger587 OP t1_jcfnexb wrote

I've been here going on 4 years and have never seen any. It's just strange to me that all of a sudden there's hundreds of them.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_jcfnu2q wrote

It’s because they’re going north, migration, following waterways. Go up the Susquehanna from the Chesapeake bay. Maybe heading towards Great Lakes. Been in this area since I was born and see it every year.

dpatches92 t1_jcgdv5g wrote

You've been here for 4 years and never seen any? You must not look up much cause there always around sheetz on maynard....o and Wendy's next too Walmart in montoursville

TxGinger587 OP t1_jckk2sa wrote

I guess I never took notice. Pigeons and regular birds yes, but not seagulls. LOL

dpatches92 t1_jd2nx04 wrote

Yes they are a plague in the summer....I like to call them sky rats.

malepitt t1_jcfod44 wrote

I wonder if it's related to "crows congregating in the city during winter" which I have read may be a response to predators (raptors) out in the countryside. So I wonder if your local flock of gulls has been congregating in a place where a new pair of eagles has set up housekeeping? Wild guess https://www.lycomingaudubon.org/

-Aus10 t1_jchhcec wrote

I can confirm that it's been happening at least since the 40s in the Montoursville/Williamsport area. Like other people have mentioned, almost every year

Tdub405 t1_jchup3s wrote

The last 4 years they've been on hiatus. It used to be a yearly mass migration when they moved inland to Acme parking lots when the shore points empty out. They follow the people, because people leave a mess that they can eat. Lol.