Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

getfocused12 t1_jegd6j4 wrote

Since you mention it, I would start the process to get a passport. Its a good backup for DOB verification and lasts 10 years.

jaymz168 t1_jeh1ard wrote

I've actually been denied entry by a doorguy at a bar ca. 2006 because all I had was my passport (license was expired). Here's the conversation:

Him: What's this?

Me : It's a passport <shows him my DOB>

Him: What's it for?

Me: So you can leave and re-enter the country....

Him: Why would you want to leave the USA?

Me: <explains my friend's wedding, seeing the world, etc.>

Him: Well, I need a state-issued ID

Me : IT'S LITERALLY ISSUED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE

Him : <continues to be a jongoistic caveman while denying me entry>

Aggravating_Foot_528 t1_jeggoqi wrote

I second this. Once you have a passport, it's a good backup as u/getfocused12 says, but it also will probably lead to you taking an out of country trip, even if it's "just" to Canada. You're more likely to go when you have it. And if an opportunity comes up to travel, you won't have to worry about getting the passport then and worrying whether it'll show up on time.

peachy_keen451 OP t1_jegjsbu wrote

Waiting to get my passport after I turn 21 so it lasts longer! And my ny id will be enhanced so I can get to Canada and Mexico :)

Aggravating_Foot_528 t1_jegl5dt wrote

It's 16. Before 16 is 5 years. After 16 is 10.

We don't have enhanced here in PA. You can also use a EDL to go to some Caribbean countries too.

MrRiski t1_jeh4edw wrote

They must have changed that. I got mine when I was fourteen or something. Kept it handy for years until it expired while I looked nothing like the picture 😂

ButtBlock t1_jegic9f wrote

Yeah OP, what if you need to leave the US. Should always maintain a passport at all times. You never know