Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ir01gdo wrote

The good news is that instead of “little or no documentation,” you have your birth certificate.

Rather than going back to the social security office for a 7th time without the necessary identification, go to the university’s school office to find out their process for a school ID. If you can obtain a school ID take that to a passport office to get a passport.

Then take the birth certificate, the school id, and your passport to the social security office to request a duplicate/replacement social security card.

Don’t go back to the social security office until you have your school id and passport.

Best of luck.

(And start the process to get a drivers license?)

Lostscribe007 t1_ir13us4 wrote

Can't get a passport without a state ID or driver's license and OP has neither.

atsterism t1_ir1tpij wrote

You can absolutely get a passport with just a birth certificate. They take it for like eight weeks though, and it needs to be the original/certified, even though they do send it back at the end.

emersoncoe t1_ir2nyyw wrote

No, birth certificate is proof of citizenship. You need another form of id as proof of identity, separate from the citizenship.

Ghstfce t1_ir1v06l wrote

If not a driver's license, then a PA-issued State ID. Just be aware that come next March PA will be going over to Real ID, so it may benefit OP to try and get all the items together necessary before going to the DMV in order to just get a Real ID

chaos-born OP t1_ir01jd0 wrote

Before, I hadn't that either, the reasoning for my choice of wording is that hasn't helped me as they can't go on that alone.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_ir027dl wrote

Sounds very frustrating.

chaos-born OP t1_ir02egx wrote

It is. The first time I went to go get my birth certificate, I went by myself, I nearly cried at the office because I was denied service for the same reason I need my birth certificate, not having my ss card or an ID, around that time a family member stepped in as well.