Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

basement-thug OP t1_ir9qou6 wrote

In what world do we let a drunk person out of a holding cell before they are sober? Is this a PA thing? I'm pretty sure the other states I lived in had that policy, no release until sober.

bontakun82 t1_ira5hoc wrote

Look, in Lancaster it's entirely possible that they held him until he was sober then he just went and got drunk again.

whomp1970 t1_iranncs wrote

While I agree that it's a sensible and logical idea, the police aren't babysitters.

You're found driving intoxicated, you get taken to the station, you get written up, and because you're not charged with something that requires you to be locked up, you're let go.

Plus the police probably have no right to detain you in that case.

But yes, I agree, letting them sober up safely at the station, would be wise.

Tyrotoxism44 t1_iramsl0 wrote

I know Cumberland and dauphin counties just process them and release to a sober party. Booking centers would be stuffed full on Friday and Saturday nights if they didn’t release them.

Sybertron t1_irb0if6 wrote

The holding times have nothing to do with being sober or not. Its usually a hold until the pre-trial folks (basically mini-judges) can see you and set a bail.

You havent been convicted of a crime at that point so the whole holding period is always a bit controversial. Of course it can make sense when someone is drunk/high, but you could also imagine where a holding period is easily abused.

worstatit t1_irb6kaa wrote

Many departments have no holding cells. DUI, as a misdemeanor, is not a holding offense. Drunks, of course, can be sobered up before release as a matter of public safety (theirs and other's). Releasing to a sober relative or friend is considered due diligence, and less liability intensive as far as possible in-custody injury, illness, overdose, etc. Of course, drunks will be drunks...

dogboi t1_iralfjl wrote

I know for a fact that rural counties in NY release people before they sober up. A friend of mine got two DWIs in the same night. The second DWI involved him crashing into parked cars. Property damage could have been avoided if they just kept him locked up.

Subliminal87 t1_iraxlgm wrote

It also could have been avoided if that person also didn’t drive drunk in the first place though.

A friend of kind dad was held until he sobered up, went home, got his wife’s car, went back to the bar and ended up with a second dui years ago.

dogboi t1_irbjacr wrote

Oh for sure, my friend was at fault. I was just pointing out that PA isn't the only state that does this.

Excelius t1_irangsm wrote

A lot of rural and small town departments don't have the staffing to have someone sitting at the station 24/7 to babysit the holding cells. They're going to either process and release an arrestee as quickly as possible, or hand them off to the county jail.

scotticusphd t1_irbwptf wrote

And this is why central PA politicians who have strong opinions on Krasner/crime in Philadelphia can go hump themselves.