Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

oldschoolskater OP t1_isx62jz wrote

"That's right: Pennsylvania drivers have a one in 52 chance of hitting a deer. Overall, American drivers were less likely — one in 116 — to experience a crash involving a deer, elk, moose or caribou."

Be careful out there Pennsylvanians. I just hit this lottery last week. I'm hoping I don't get lucky again.

malogan82 t1_isxkj4a wrote

Congratulations! You are now a true Pennsylvanian.

oldschoolskater OP t1_isxllgk wrote

The crazy thing is between my wife and I we hit five in a ten year stretch during 90s in Fayette and Greene county. We've been lucky the last 12 years. Well our luck just ran out.

malogan82 t1_isxmqsm wrote

Damn, you Pennsylvania'd HARD back then.

SickeningPink t1_iszmf7g wrote

I’m guessing my odds are a lot higher than 1 in 52. I’ve hit four in the last year alone

Bxggzys t1_iszq79w wrote

You shouldnt be driving

SickeningPink t1_iszqj4t wrote

I should’ve mentioned I usually drive 150-200 miles a day back and forth to work depending on where I’m working at. feel like that raises my odds higher than the average person.

BigfootTundra t1_it04m0u wrote

Well shit hopefully your repair doesn’t take as long as mine did this year. My truck was in the shop for a month and a half waiting on parts.

electric_ranger t1_isxsxy2 wrote

My wife’s super power is spotting deer at night.

vasquca1 t1_isyz6c7 wrote

Mine can spot gators. Very important when visiting GA.

Blexcr0id t1_it1thsj wrote

It is important or know whether she screams "DEER DEER DEER!" (like my ex) or calmly says "Deer." and points like a normal person.

IrresponsibleScience t1_isxaxnz wrote

They’ve been really active this fall, even out here in the Philly burbs.

Any time I see a deer crossing the road I slow down, put on hazards and flash my lights for oncoming traffic to make sure I catch everyone’s attention. Even if there’s a safe gap for me to cross doesn’t mean something won’t happen shortly after so I want to help the other drivers to be looking around.

Tjw5083 t1_isy19xn wrote

My neighborhood in west chester usually has 6-8 deer “locals,” each year. I actually counted 18 deer on a single property last week which is my new record. Those things are multiplying yall.

anort717 t1_isy3ncq wrote

I come across from rt 1 to rt 3 every night and they are everywhere.

Dispatcher12 t1_isxhucs wrote

I already bought a new grill for my Subaru this year. Though I've lived in Tioga County for 16 years and it was just the second one I hit so I am grateful. The first one slid across my hood, cracked my windshield, rolled off and ran away.

Prometheus_303 t1_isynsv1 wrote

The deer was smart. If your going to be hit by a car, your best move is to jump and roll into the windshield. Your more likely to survive with less serious injuries than if the car hits you standing.

Other related trivia...
You have an 80% chance of surviving being hit by a car traveling 35mph or lower. But if it's traveling 45 or higher when it hits you, your only 20% likely to survive. (*That's for humans, not sure about deer)

SickeningPink t1_iszmbml wrote

I’m one of those 20%. Happened when I was 13. I had no idea the odds of surviving that were so low. That freaks me out a little

BusterScrugs t1_it0n6cn wrote

Kids bounce off of things a lot better than adults though.

Dispatcher12 t1_iszqtdx wrote

Deer #2 had to be dispatched by the local police on the sidewalk in front of Advanced Auto Parts. I hit it pretty square.

Ct-5736-Bladez t1_isxzv42 wrote

Rifle season is coming up soon. Hopefully it helps even if a little.

justuravgjoe762 t1_iszxsy1 wrote

Cue up the Starship Troopers line

"I'm doing my part".

I've got three tags, anything more I'd have to get another freezer.

FyrestarOmega t1_isx8rg2 wrote

I swear I've had more close calls in the last few years, including one where Bambi literally stopped in front of me on the road and challenged me to a staring contest.

WitchSlap t1_isxblse wrote

Well, we do keep taking away their homey woodlands and fields

FyrestarOmega t1_isxowmc wrote

Yes, but doing so also drives away the natural predators of deer and allows their population to grow unchecked. This is bad for other herbivores that compete with deer for food, bad for us in terms of dangers on our roadways and spread of disease, and bad for the deer who may encounter painful death.

Keeping balance in their population is important, as is keeping their species in healthy numbers. Hunting does serve a necessary purpose with deer, especially in developing areas.

WitchSlap t1_isxwq0y wrote

No argument there. We've removed their homes, their predators, their competitors. Stewardship demands we step up.

Advanced-Guard-4468 t1_isxicch wrote

Fewer and fewer people hunt. With less pressure and kills the population will grow

oldschoolskater OP t1_isxa13w wrote

Sounds exactly like my experiences so far, well in addition to hitting one. Not Bambi of course.

Betterdaysalwayscome t1_isxovi7 wrote

One of my biggest concerns driving to Pittsburgh at the end of November. I told my friend I want to leave early enough, before sun down. Her response being “you think there’s deer like that” 😒

ktappe t1_iszq4dq wrote

I’d think the Turnpike is pretty safe, as it’s wide. It’s the narrow back roads where you have to be pretty careful.

Betterdaysalwayscome t1_iszrhyr wrote

I’m coming from jersey, so I’m not sure the route it’s taking me to Pittsburgh yet. I have a fear of them ever since the one time I did hit one, he actually hit me.. I had no idea what I hit bc he hit over my wheel well. I got extremely lucky

AostaV t1_it0d4g1 wrote

It will definitely be the turnpike for the last bit.

Hitting a deer would be bad on the turnpike but like poster said, chances should be pretty slim

AostaV t1_it0d205 wrote

Stay out of Sewickley and Mt Lebanon . They roam the damn streets

Betterdaysalwayscome t1_it0dfqe wrote

Duly noted ! Never heard of those cities so I may be good lol. Not that I even know the city I’m staying in lol

AostaV t1_it0fsf3 wrote

Mt Lebo is a little southwest of Pittsburgh, Sewickley to the northwest.

Both are well off areas and not enough hunters, residents like to feed them too. I drive through Sewickley for work and see them in the craziest places

Mister_No_ItAll t1_isxsa4b wrote

I drive to Pennsylvania a couple times a year to visit family. I always know when I've crossed the state line when I see the first deer corpse, usually followed by a couple sprinters before I reach the old homestead.

twin-shadows t1_isyjkmv wrote

Odds of a deer hitting you? Because that happened to me.

squabble123 t1_iszjnnj wrote

Same!!! The deer that hit me jumped over a guardrail into my car!

ThePopeJones t1_isyep6l wrote

Does anyone else remember the deer whistles people used to put on their cars in the late 80s and early 90s? I know my granddad and 2 of my uncles hit deer with em on their cars/trucks.

squabble123 t1_iszjkvv wrote

Not gonna lie after I hit a deer I bought them for my new car LOL. I didnt hit a deer in it but I still saw them.

ktappe t1_iszr0as wrote

The article specifically mentions those whistles at the end. It says they don’t work.

Dispatcher12 t1_isxhihh wrote

"Go that way. Very fast. And if you see a deer, turn."

Just a little joke for my fellow teens of the 80s.

kiddestructo t1_isy14dj wrote

Paying attention at all times really helps. Have never hit one, and I am ancient. Had a few pretty close calls, though.

Donnaholic81 t1_isz95wz wrote

You can pay attention as much as you want and they’ll still jump off a bank straight onto your hood.

kiddestructo t1_iszqinz wrote

I have heard that, or running right into the side of your car. Luck helps some, too.

Disgruntled_Viking t1_isyue76 wrote

I agree. I think 3/4 of the dead animals I see are because people are actively being distracted or just stare dead at the road without scanning the areas around them.

DickNose-TurdWaffle t1_isydtwj wrote

We really need to extend deer season. The population is way out of control.

ktappe t1_iszqo6m wrote

Including allowing it on all Sundays.

blu3bird17 t1_isyf9w1 wrote

Articles from 2019. So far so good for me. Guess I'm excellent at the bob and weave.

PPQue6 t1_isybskt wrote

A few years ago a guy I worked with hit a deer twice in a two week time span. I joked around with him that his insurance company was going to think that he was trying to pull some sort of scam...😂

AnotherDaveFella t1_isxgngd wrote

Whatever you do, please don't just throw on the high beams to blind everyone else so they hit the deer.

iandoto t1_isy3byu wrote

If any of you have property in the greater South East or NEPA areas that needs to be hunted, I’d be happy to do my part 😏

KryptonicxJesus t1_iszo4ro wrote

I know they probably don’t work but I’ve had deer whistles on my car since I started driving and haven’t hit a deer yet in 14 years

ktappe t1_iszrnii wrote

The article specifically mentioned the whistles and says that they do not work.

Ashamed-Working-2067 t1_it0her5 wrote

If they would just move the signs they'll cross somewhere else...lol

mike1097 t1_it0p9qo wrote

I hit one two days ago. My hood is jacked up.

--Cr1imsoN-- t1_isz5vn5 wrote

Sounds more like it’s not the deer but the transplants to Pennsylvania who aren’t accustomed to seeing deer on the road.