Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BillyBuckJoe t1_it60isc wrote

Can someone please explain to me how this is not defamation?

Ghstfce t1_it63tbs wrote

It is. He's trying to cushion himself by saying "supposedly", but if Alex Jones taught us anything it's that you can still get completely F'ed monetarily

Jef_Wheaton t1_it7ajnl wrote

The way the stupid laws are written, you can pretty much say anything about someone if they are a "public person". If they're a celebrity, politician, or sports star, they're fair game to whatever horrible thing anyone wants to say about them, even if it's blatantly false.

ActualPopularMonster t1_it7f29q wrote

So it's possible to say that Mastriano is a pedophile child-sex trafficker, as long as I follow that shit up with - "But I don't personally know that for sure, I've just heard a lot of people saying it!" and then get away with it??

Megaverse_Mastermind t1_it83uha wrote

Mastriano fornicates himself with Hitler's preserved femur bone while singing "I Touch Myself" in falsetto, all while old naked men throw banana cream pies at his face and genitals. Allegedly, but I hear it all the time around these parts. Many people are saying it. Why just yesterday, a big burly man ran up to me, tears in his eyes, and said this to me. And then everyone stood up and clapped.

NoButThankYou t1_it87dfo wrote

Commentary on disclosed facts (ie, talking about something someone else publicly said) cannot be defamation. So if some rando on the Internet says "I've found a bunch of clips and news articles that I've selectively edited and misinterpreted to imply that Josh Shapiro is helping CHOP mutilate kids," and then Doug Mastriano says, "people are saying Josh Shapiro helps CHOP mutilate kids, that's why he shouldn't be governor," that is not defamation.