Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Escobarhippo t1_iusdggl wrote

The Garryowen Irish pub is a favorite

Material-Assist4894 t1_iutbld3 wrote

We went in 2015 and booked a private walking tour with Jerry LaRussa from Gettysburg Licensed Town Historians - this was a tour of the town (we toured the battlefield separately). We had a great tour. We also booked an appointment for pictures at Victorian Photography Studio and that was fun too.

the_dorf t1_iuu15ai wrote

Do the autotour by bicycle if the weather is still nice. I rented at the facility while doing most of roads in one day.

GraffitiTavern t1_iuu1apk wrote

Well since it is off-season things should be pretty open, the area is gorgeous in the fall. Battlefield, ofc, grew up in the area and Devil's Den is great. Since we are getting to Christmas, there's a great German Christmas store about 15 minutes from Gettysburg in New Oxford. If you enjoy breweries a lot have popped up in the past 5 years. My favorite place in town is Waldo's, an art-coop which also functions as a café/virgin cocktail bar and used book store, it's on the basement-level below one of the shops in the square I think or in a back alley off Carlisle Street.

IamSauerKraut t1_iuui1uh wrote

Little Roundtop is closed for major rehab.

Devil's Den just re-opened after major rehab.

Lerch's has the best socks in town.

The Christmas Haus on Baltimore St has great German-made decorations. If you are looking for a 6 foot wood nutcracker for that special someone, this is the place to get it! Only $12,000 last time I asked. Made of oak (I think), the hat alone weights about 60 lb.

Across the street, and one block up, is the Polish Pottery store. None of the junk you get from catalogues. This is the real stuff.

Mr. G's is further up Baltimore Street, indeed a good walk, and has great ice cream! Just past Reed's wine tasting shop.

If you want to do more serious shopping, the outlet stores are on the other side of Rt. 15 just off Baltimore St (aka Rt 97). You will want to drive there.

IrrumaboMalum t1_iuv66vx wrote

I went to Gettysburg not too long ago, and just be warned - pretty much everything is closed by 6 PM. Except for Walmart and the chain restaurants. So if you want to see stuff around the town itself and not just the battlefield and museum, plan to get back to town around 2 to 3 so you have time to see some of the local stuff as well.

Appalachian Brewing Company has some amazing food and drinks.

RoyOfCon t1_iuw14kh wrote

Download the Gettysburg Auto Tour app. It’s really worth it to help understand the battlefield and different parts of the fight. My wife and I also enjoyed the Jennie Wade ghost tour, it was a fun way to kill an hour at night.

ExploringMom57 t1_iuw6dal wrote

Audio tour if you're not getting the private tour. Just know that the private tour hosts are very knowledgeable. Devil's Den, you can see Little Round Top from there from a distance just rehabbing going on there. Pennsylvania monument, Sach's bridge, cannonball in the brick in the church (304 Baltimore Street), Lincoln Address Memorial in Soldier's National Cemetery.

shake-dog-shake t1_iut1mmk wrote

Definitely get one of the audio tours for your phone, you can do it leisurely and spend more time where you want. We did a nighttime ghost tour, it was ok, fun for the kids. I would visit the Jennie Wade house and Sach's Covered bridge.

YonderMTN t1_iuurc5e wrote

Don't miss the Ploughman Taproom on the square. Excellent cider!

OkayJellyfish_ t1_iuymu9j wrote

Take a tour of the Jenny Wade house! She was the only civilian killed during the battle at Gettysburg. You can still see the bullet hole in the kitchen where she was making bread at the time of her death.

LetsPlayCanasta t1_iuu32hl wrote

Maybe it's a little-known fact but go to the Park Ranger station and ask for a tour. A Park Ranger will drive your car around the battlefield, pointing out historic markers.

It's (relatively) cheap and it's like having a private tour.

I did it about 20 years ago and thought it was great. I assume they still do it.

−1