Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PM_Me_Your_WorkFiles t1_iy8o1r1 wrote

As a college student you kind of have the option to state either as your residence - if you are currently employees/earning money it may be better to stay in Texas (no income tax). Otherwise, just pick the one that your vote matters more for.

There may be car insurance implications too, and if your car is registered in Texas you probably want to keep your Texas drivers license. In fact, if you have a car with you in college you should probably just stick with Texas license as registering in PA is a hassle and you have to renew and pass inspection annually (I think Texas is every two years).

Getting a PA drivers license when you have a valid Texas license is super easy, just bring the license and your birth certificate and two letters or utility bills addressed to your current PA address to the PennDOT office near you and you’ll be in and out with a new license in 30 minutes.

queensekhmet t1_iy8rbeg wrote

Okay, and yeah my car is registered in TX. I had to renew it not too long before I moved. And I just got a new car insurance policy based in TX so I don't really want to have to get a new DL until my current registration expires.

Really, I just wanted to get a PA ID in the meantime to be able to get medical marijuana.

PM_Me_Your_WorkFiles t1_iy8vxlz wrote

Upvoting for your honesty. Just FYI the total cost of the stuff I mentioned: License: $30 Registration: $120-$250 (PA has independent shops do it and what they charge varies) Emissions+Safety inspection: $40-100 annually (same deal as with registration, where you live affects this cost a lot) Re-registering annually: $39

It’s a lot of money (not including the cost of the medical card) - if you happen to be going to college in Philly, it’s decriminalized here and you’re not gonna get in trouble just smoking outside (regardless of medical or not, driving high or smoking in your car is illegal).

Also, someone I know has medical and it’s really expensive at the shop and comes way too dried out. Wishing you luck!