Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Griswa t1_ivt7nqr wrote

This is the hard part about this. I’ve seen the signs, heard the conversations from neighbors and friends. It’s hard to go back to “hey, let’s drink some beer on the patio” when I know you not only voted but actually “believe” the things he says.

powersurge t1_ivt82t9 wrote

I am hoping to find all my neighbors that supported the Republicans this year and buy them a beer to discuss. It's a good topic to engage on. Otherwise they will only hear from their friends on Facebook.

TacoNomad t1_ivt9y55 wrote

But you can't have a discussion with people that refuse to hear anything but what they've already been told by the overlords. Good luck, but it's going to be exhausting

Griswa t1_ivtcovf wrote

Yeah. Like taco said below, you can’t change the minds of people, that don’t want to listen. It is weird anymore. You can’t have discussion. It turns into anger. In order to not lose friends, or make for unneighborly relations, we just ignore it. That has been the biggest takeaway of the trump elections. People are emboldened into thinking his views, and by extension their views, are the only views. The hard part for me is the the far right is/was seriously trying to limit things like birth control. Birth control. I mean holy fuck, what century are we living in. Any time I would bring it up, my righties would say shit like “small price to pay for freedom”. Like that is the OPPOSITE of freedom. Then they would bring up gas prices, and I would just quit. Short story, save your beer bro.