Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AFD_0 t1_iw12xj7 wrote

Always thought it was a good idea to slow down and give a wide berth to anyone on the side of the road, whether it's an accident or disabled vehicle, someone giving/getting a ticket, road crews, postal workers, garbage trucks or other utility workers - but only, if it can be done safely without potentially causing an accident yourself.

Iirc, the wording of the new law gives some leeway for that last point. For example, on a 2-lane rural highway, it's not always safe to move a lane over putting you into oncoming traffic you may or may not see (the roads are windy around here and there's designated passing spots for a reason). On the other hand, it's usually a lot safer to at least slow down, though hard braking if they're in a bad spot can likewise cause an accident. And depending upon traffic and visibility, jumping into the far or middle lane isn't always possible within only a few seconds (especially if surrounding traffic is all trying to do the same thing).

Many years ago when I got pulled over for speeding in the Carolinas, the trooper was smart and only approached the vehicle from the passenger's side window - which probably also gave him a better view of my actions and inside the vehicle. Not sure why that's not a standard procedure around here, but at least my last traffic stop they were nice enough to wait before lighting me up and let me pull over into a small parking lot, giving him plenty of room on either side.