Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

yadda4sure t1_ixylf0u wrote

Because you don’t celebrate shitbags. That’s what got us to this fucked up situation. Yes we learn about them and how awful they are, just like Hitler, but we don’t celebrate awful with statues.

Advanced-Guard-4468 t1_ixylly7 wrote

You never learned about them. If you did, you wouldn't refer to them as shitbags.

We wouldn't have gotten our independence from Britain without them. But go on with tour narrow minded view.

I see the current educational system is turning out some real winners. So we need to have a stronger Social Studies and Civic lessons.

−2

yadda4sure t1_ixym7fg wrote

There’s a big difference between the few isolated cases where people want to remove the statues of Washington or Jackson (who HAD SLAVES) because they believed in the horrific institution of SLAVERY.

CONFEDERATE officer’s were TRAITORS of this nation.

Emphasis added for your stupidity.

Advanced-Guard-4468 t1_ixymg6f wrote

You meant to say Jefferson (who had slaves). Anyone who studies history knows he did. It wasn't uncommon for people to do that then.

Jackson and what he did do the Cherokee Indians is just horrible.

SeaCoffeeLuck t1_ixyrv2y wrote

Washington had slaves too. His dentures were made from real human teeth pulled from other people… likely before they were dead. There weren’t any volunteers giving him his teeth…

Advanced-Guard-4468 t1_ixysqb0 wrote

"Likely" but no way to confirm that.

Yes he owned slaves but that wasn't uncommon for large property owners back then.

He also sacrificed much of his life for this country. He set a president by stepping down as a leader of a country which had never happened before. Was he a perfect person without flaws? Nope

HeyZuesHChrist t1_iy0asty wrote

Jesus Christ dude. This is one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever seen on Reddit. If I were you I’d just delete your account and start over. F-