Submitted by nesquiksand2 t3_yyooj7 in Pennsylvania

Hi everyone. My gf works in retail, and the heat for the building is out. The boss told her that they have to go in anyway, and the heat won't be fixed until next week. I'm finding some mixed information about whether or not this would be considered a violation. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: it's not retail, it's a Supercuts.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SpideySense12 t1_iwvx6lh wrote

Who is going to want a haircut in a place with no heat?

zerooze t1_iwvy7zi wrote

My thought too. It would be better to close than to piss off customers who took the time to come to their appointments and found out the conditions were this poor. WTF is the boss thinking?

twin-shadows t1_iwxljj8 wrote

At my first job we had to stay till close in blizzard conditions. Eventually we were able to go but I still almost didn’t make it home.

Generic_Bi t1_iwvz7ht wrote

I’m not taking my stocking cap off. Hope they don’t mind.

hemiones t1_iwvdbc2 wrote

No because inside it is protected from the wind and elements. Osha has guidelines for thermostat setting and rules for Extreme weather situations, but not being inside while its not even cold enough for pipes to freeze.

She might be able to get a doctors note if she is really sensitive.

Pirrelig t1_iwvbysw wrote

This is probably discomfort, but not injury. Many outdoor occupations are much colder, I'm sure. Dress for the temps.

Curious80123 t1_iwvkdif wrote

Should be able to get some space heaters, would think lots of customers would just say Pass and not stick around

Wonderful-Comment314 t1_iwwrvxh wrote

It's a hair salon, space heaters would be a major fire hazard.

Curious80123 t1_iwwsuad wrote

Vs a cold store? Never thought hair salon as fire hazard. Oil filled electrical heaters don’t have a flame nor spark. But ok

dalex89 t1_iwve1o1 wrote

If it's anything like the regulations that regard warehouses, there's no low point temp.

nesquiksand2 OP t1_iwvfpe3 wrote

But that's what's really at the heart of my inquiry. It's not a warehouse. It seems overwhelming though, that no, there are no regulations regarding this. The boss has also said that they cannot use space heaters, which I understand to a certain extent.

Also, in case anyone was curious, it's a Supercuts, not retail.

Wuz314159 t1_iwviq5p wrote

>it's a Supercuts, not retail.

That's a different animal. I'm sure it's a health violation to be washing hair in freezing temperatures. I'd contact you local municipality's L&I. Today. Before the weekend.

mikeyHustle t1_iwvfvd0 wrote

It is unfortunately legal, although depending on the store, there's a chance that someone else owns the building, and not having heat could be a violation of their lease. You'd have to do some research to find out who to talk to about that and it still might not come to anything, though.

princeoinkins t1_iwvrncl wrote

I would also be surprised if OHSA would do anything considering it's 1) not so cold that you could have major issues (unless you aren't dressed properly) and 2) he isn't refusing to fix it, and likely has it scheduled, you are just waiting on the maintenance people.

smokey0324 t1_iwvat7l wrote

Why would it be a violation?

nesquiksand2 OP t1_iwvb1zv wrote

Do employers not need to provide adequate accommodations for their employees?

smokey0324 t1_iwvbncz wrote

Not that ik of or heard of. But when I just googled Osha regulations they really only have rules for temps above 95. For cold weather they basically just tell you to dress appropriately.

nesquiksand2 OP t1_iwvc1dp wrote

I also read this, "You do not have to endure an unsafe office environment. If the office is so cold you can see your breath and there's no reason for it other than a lack of heat, that could be considered a violation."

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/labor-laws-heat-offices-67466.html

But it could be different because it's not an office? It's one thing if it was a large factory or something, but another if it's retail, maybe? That's really where my question lies.

smokey0324 t1_iwvcdcj wrote

I'd say no, there is no requirement. But if you feel there is call n ask

Wuz314159 t1_iwvj281 wrote

The rules are written like that because some people work in freezers or the like in the food industry. So it's slightly ambiguous. Reading has an option on the city app to report a building for No Heat.

nesquiksand2 OP t1_iwvjhlo wrote

Yeah that's what I thought too. Thought I'd just bring it up and ask. Thanks.

malbolgia708 t1_iwvzuuf wrote

I worked at 84 lumber, it's essentially a pole barn. No heat, no a/c no insulation. Coats and gloves inside in the winter.

CharacterBrief9121 t1_iww3uwd wrote

Quick answer no, it doesn’t matter there are set temps for highs but not lows. Mechanics often work in garages without heat all winter long, I know I did. Tell her to get some long John’s and a coat. Bundle up like the Michelin man and bump everything off the shelves until he either closes or fixes the heat. I agree it’s fucked up but welcome to America where fucked up pays the bills.

Toadinnahole t1_iwwui1k wrote

If you are in the US and wherever you live has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code (it's one of the iCodes, like the Building Codes that almost all states use) there is a minimum indoor working temp of 65° for commercial buildings. Google "code enforcement" for your city/town/municipality.

nesquiksand2 OP t1_iwx1i67 wrote

So, I did this, actually, and here's what I found:

Section 602.4 of the International Property Maintenance Code is hereby revised by amending the following: 602.4 Indoor occupiable work spaces shall be supplied with heat during the period from October 1 to March 31 to maintain a minimum temperature of 65° F. (18° C.) during the period the spaces are occupied

So it seems like it's the landlords problem.

Inert_Uncle_858 t1_iwvbefn wrote

This is probably the wrong Sub. You want one of the work reform related ones.

Just from what I would think though it probably isn't a violation unless they are making her wear a short sleeves outfit or something. If she's allowed to bundle up it probably isn't a violation. I've worked in plenty of unheated buildings and outdoors all winter before.

Genkiotoko t1_iww00uy wrote

Time to bring in plug in radiators to jack their electricity usage.

jp_hbg t1_iww6po3 wrote

Hair clients are loyal to their stylist not the salon. If her book is big enough she should look for a chair in another shop. I'm a former salon owner, that motherfucker is giving her a cut of money SHE brought in. He's not paying his staff out of his pocket. Btw, who would sit in a cold room with wet hair and be cool with it? Not me....she and her coworkers should bolt n fuck him over.

WarthogPrestigious73 t1_iwz0qpu wrote

Pretty sure that is a violation and she can actually report them to the State board.

Stonecutter_12-83 t1_ix384hh wrote

Can't really cut hair in gloves....

Why can't the owner get temporary electric heaters? If it takes over a week he needs to run out asap and get something for his employees (not by law but he should at least be compassionate

IntoTheMirror t1_iwvfz0h wrote

I could totally see my company telling us to wear a jacket. And honestly I would probably just do that. If they said I couldn’t then we’d have a problem and I’d tell ‘em hey, looks like I gotta head out til you figure this out bud.

nesquiksand2 OP t1_iwvh2pe wrote

They said they could wear jackets. I'm telling her to dress like Randy from a Christmas Story.

BrowniesAndMilk1 t1_iwvdcb6 wrote

You made up you had a girlfriend lol

−14