Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

whomp1970 OP t1_iz0j9bh wrote

I'm just amazed that they went to the effort. They didn't have to re-shoot a commercial shot-for-shot. They could have just cranked out a totally different commercial. The sets, the actors, all timed perfectly, beat for beat.

But something about that commercial just resonates with the audience. Who among us doesn't know exactly when to sing the "Five Cash Fives!" line?

brianbo402 t1_iz0rlw6 wrote

Mehmet Oz doesn’t. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

wagsman t1_iz0xbn5 wrote

A true PA politician litmus test:

"Fill in the blanks 7 powerball, 6 Match 6, ___________"

Tatmar t1_iz0jx4g wrote

My friends and I send this to each other every year, it’s a classic!

wagsman t1_iz0w68c wrote

If they had done that, everyone over the age of 50 would've filed a complaint against these damn millennials and their war on Christmas.

KyleRichXV t1_iz0l1vn wrote

đŸŽ¶ And best wishes from the lo-ttttterrrrr-eeeeeeee đŸŽ¶

ComprehensiveCat7515 t1_iz14614 wrote

I saw this commercial recently and did think to myself, wow that video quality looks very good for such an old commercial. Thanks for the link!

LadyNorbert t1_iz144cw wrote

I KNEW that wasn’t the same commercial from when I was a kid! The voices are completely different!

rms2219 t1_iz121pr wrote

It's crazy to me that we rely on gambling to provide basic needs (prescriptions/food, in this case) for PA citizens.

delusions- t1_iz3giix wrote

Take from the poor to provide for the same poor

HeyZuesHChrist t1_iz7q2ae wrote

When I see someone buying $50 of lottery tickets every week I call it “redneck retirement.”

LordJunon t1_iz1hy8s wrote

This is up there with the Eat and Park tree in commercials I expect to see every December

whomp1970 OP t1_iz1i5nw wrote

Those still exist??

I haven't been at one since 1992 when I got out of college. They were popular in the western PA area, but there are none around me now.

badgerbarthowlemeiux t1_iz2kr96 wrote

Yes, in Western PA, and parts of OH & WV.

They still advertise all the time too. Especially during Pittsburgh Penguins games.

zorionek0 t1_iz4g5rs wrote

I was at a conference at RMU and they announced we were going to meet in the Eat n Park suite- and I thought they were taking us to a private room at an Eat-n-Park

randomnighmare t1_iz4ndhl wrote

Yes they do still exist but the prices of their smiley cookies went up.

dangerjack0055 t1_iz0g8tu wrote

Yes! I noticed, I think they used the original audio

cgamgee t1_iz11utl wrote

Definitely not the original audio. When it is a close up on the carolers you can hear two different lead vocals with one staying on the note slightly longer

TheSalamanizer t1_iz2ash3 wrote

Plus they rename the games every so often and need to change the song a bit

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_j2614oj wrote

Yeah, they sang 2 Mega Millions (or was it Merry Millions?) whereas I remember it from my childhood as "2 Instant Games".

you_cant_prove_that t1_iz0pmes wrote

I'm not sure about that, you might be right, but the guy saying "What a great gift!" always seemed odd. I don't think that was in the original

edit: I just realized the video has sound. He says it in both, but it is less prominent in the original

HortonSquare t1_iz29hvh wrote

I apologize in advance for a dumb question here. So they re-shot the whole commercial with different actors? That is incredible. I thought they somehow touched up the old one

whomp1970 OP t1_iz4nhll wrote

No, it was entirely re-shot from the ground up. They used the same script and I think the same music. You'll notice the actors look similar but they're not the same (newsstand guy in particular).

There's a short 10-minute documentary about this, somewhere.

randomnighmare t1_iz4no7p wrote

No they clearly used the same actors for the reboot. When you look at the comparison videos you can see that they are the same people but older. It's weird but also a nice touch that they got the same people. Now my head canon is that they live in a Groundhog Day type loop, living the same day over and over again, but they also age.

Edit

−1

HortonSquare t1_iz4uxer wrote

I have never been more proud to be a citizen of the commonwealth

Wudaokau t1_iz3usl5 wrote

One of my friends is in it and every time it comes on I say “Look! It’s my friend!”.

randomnighmare t1_iz2kkib wrote

How were they able to de-age Gus without any CG?

Reynolds_Live t1_iz0z4eg wrote

The new guys face looks CG for some reason.

ThePopeJones t1_iz23cul wrote

I saw this and thought something was up! I was starting to question my sanity, lol.

zorionek0 t1_iz4guxj wrote

“And best wishes gas lighting from the Lott-er-eee”

ashfye29 t1_iz29oj5 wrote

This commercial was one of my favorites growing up! I can hear this picture

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_iz2lenh wrote

I didn't realize how much I've missed seeing that commercial (having moved out of PA over 20 years ago) until now. Thanks for the nostalgia! <3

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_j261a4p wrote

Update: I've been singing this commercial to myself all season long. My partner (non-Pennsylvanian) even caught me in the act and I had to explain it to him. :D

lefthandb1ack t1_iz4cjdl wrote

My favorite part of the original, and how I noticed diff between them is when the main guy is leaving “Rita” and says “hApPy hOliDaYs” (original) vs. “Happy Holidays!” (New)

elefantsblue t1_iz26m7l wrote

I’m so happy the government spends tax dollars on commercials to take money from poor people.

PinsAndBeetles t1_iz2q0th wrote

I get what you’re saying but soooo many of the older and disabled people I help at work benefit from the PA property tax and rent rebate and PACE/PACENet prescription programs that I can’t speak too harshly against the lottery, especially since they do publicly post odds of winning and tons of gambling addiction resources.

elefantsblue t1_iz2tuu4 wrote

Same argument is used when people feed their kids with money made from heroin

−7

PinsAndBeetles t1_iz2wldn wrote

Yeah, except selling heroin is illegal and can cause death to those who purchase it

elefantsblue t1_iz2yr9p wrote

I’m just saying seeing a benefit in a negative doesn’t negate the negative.

−4

x8675309 t1_iz387m1 wrote

$1.2 billion dollars went to benefit programs last year. The ad spend last year was $40 million ish. I don’t think tax dollars go towards the commercials.

igotsthepoo-onme t1_iz4rvow wrote

Do they have the original voices instead of those weird voice overs

whomp1970 OP t1_iz4s6w5 wrote

Just watch it yourself. What do you think?

It's clear the actors are not really singing, for example. But it seems that the actual actors ARE doing the speaking parts, not voiceovers.

[deleted] t1_iz50rxa wrote

[deleted]

whomp1970 OP t1_iz5104y wrote

You don't remember EITHER version?

Do you watch broadcast TV in Pennsylvania? It's kind of hard to avoid that commercial.

chickenonthehill559 t1_iz2gxht wrote

Lottery is a tax on the poor, I find it ridiculous that the state promotes this nonsense.

awesomesauceitch t1_iz5127y wrote

My 80 year old father lost for his entire life, but still thinks he's going to win "the big one". LOL. He's a moron.