Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SSFx93 t1_izcncyh wrote

Plot twist, the northern section of Delaware was Pennsylvania at first.

upghr5187 t1_izdqugz wrote

All of Delaware was Pennsylvania

Saltine_Machine t1_izdrq9r wrote

Yea, but we didn't want those people.

Blexcr0id t1_izds4gq wrote

As Wayne Campbell once said "Hi, I'm in...Delaware...".

BasilHaydensBitch t1_izeb0m9 wrote

And as Milton VanHorn once said “I’m going to visit a screen door factory!”

Jaylon_Wennings t1_izeiltj wrote

Delawarean here, actually you did. I think you wanted the 3 Delaware counties for access to ports and rights to the Delaware river, but the citizens of Delaware felt they had already established a culture and didn’t want to be a part of PA.

Mor_Tearach t1_ize1p88 wrote

We have to be careful though. Wasn't Pittsburgh part of West Virginia? Don't wanna stir things up. I mean. Steelers.

randomnighmare t1_ize806b wrote

Virginia claimed that it was there and Jefferson when he was Virginia's governor sent some of his militia into PA. They were captured and a note was found from Jefferson that ended, "destroy this message".

What to be careful though is NY. They maybe a bit salty losing Erie.

Mor_Tearach t1_izgvfga wrote

NOW I have to go read more, thank you! Love going down history rabbit holes.

Oh no, not Erie! It won't go quietly though, too many Steeler fans.

und88 t1_izeevy0 wrote

I'm good with trading erie for delaware

−2

Jaylon_Wennings t1_izeiqqi wrote

That’s logistically silly. Having erie is a huge bonus for trade, shipping, and access to fresh water

Mor_Tearach t1_izgvxuo wrote

I know you received some down votes, reversing one for the laugh out loud, outraging my poor husband, Erie grad.

heili t1_izeol1s wrote

Parts of it were Virginia until an agreement in 1779 that extended the Mason-Dixon line to a fixed point 5 degrees west of the Delaware River and drew Pennsylvania's western border as a true north-south straight line rather than a tracing of the course of the Delaware. This was done to compensate Pennsylvania for territory that it ceded between the Mason-Dixon line and the 39th parallel.

Mor_Tearach t1_izgv0zg wrote

Thank you! I could ( and should ) have looked it up, very good to hear the right history.

cn45 t1_ize0s26 wrote

The three lower counties! What once was shall return !