Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

carrotheadginger t1_izcw348 wrote

Imagine telling people you live in Delaware… 💀

ratmoustache t1_izdvbsw wrote

I’ve never met anyone that said they were from DE, and I’ve been there several times.

Itsshrovetuesday t1_ize271u wrote

My wife is from Delaware. I lived there for 7 years before moving back to PA. It has a few perks like low property taxes, no sales tax, and beaches. But it has become to massively over populated in Northern DE, traffic is absolutely horrid practically all the time. The beaches have become even more touristy than I remember too.

rouxcifer4 t1_izee3gv wrote

I grew up in southern Delaware, moved to pa with family in 2012. It’s so sad going back now to visit friends, just every single patch of woods or field has been turned into a housing development. The traffic is also horrible.

Itsshrovetuesday t1_izeqkk0 wrote

Totally agree! It's insane how many stupid Ryan Homes developments have gone up since we moved back to PA. So many people in such a small area was a huge reason why we moved.

NSlocal t1_izfgyei wrote

I grew up in PA but lived all of my childhood summers in Lower Slower and I too get sad when I see all of the development. When is enough, enough?

rouxcifer4 t1_izfhmbc wrote

A lot of people I know who were born and raised there are also leaving and moving to Maryland or to the western side of Delaware due to the prices too. They aren’t building 200-250k homes, it’s all 450k+ McMansions. I look up homes for sale sometimes and I could never afford to live in the area I grew up in, and we were not rich lol

NSlocal t1_izfsvxi wrote

The development in Bridgeville where 404 and Rt 13 come together, I remember when that was just woods and fields. Who the hell even wants to live that far inland? It takes an hour to get to the beach in summer traffic from Bridgeville.

ratmoustache t1_ize2qlh wrote

I actually like Delaware. I believe everything you said to be true, I just mean it’s a small state and very seldom do I meet anyone originally from there. My man lives there now but he’s from Lanc

Itsshrovetuesday t1_izec9x0 wrote

Yeah it definitely feels rare to meet people who were born and raised there. I even worked in DE for over 10 years and most people I worked with were also transplants who moved there from some other state.

rouxcifer4 t1_izedyqy wrote

I’m from Delaware! When I tell people that they are always shocked and surprised like they forget it’s a state. “You’re from where??”

cn45 t1_ize0t4n wrote

I know several people from Delaware and I’ve never visited !

CarbonGod t1_ize5inx wrote

Lived there for quite a few years, and loved it. The people, the vibe, the access to everything. It was great! tax and gas in PA sucks nuts.

canarytoyourcoalmine t1_izfz3up wrote

Born and raised in PA, spent the last 15 years in the Chicago suburbs, and moved to southern DE in July…would take DE over PA any day 🤷🏻‍♀️

carrotheadginger t1_izg6zns wrote

GTFO 😤 Sike southern Delaware is chill af. I’d equate it to rural pa. Just lots of open farmland and a chill vibe. Except for the beaches