Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HogwartsKate t1_j0bsf93 wrote

History: the town was called Mauck Chunk, a native american name. JT ‘s 3rd wife shopped around the US for a town and if they changed its name in honour of JT she would give them his remains-ie burial plot for Thorpe. They agreed. Nothing was stolen. Nothing bribed. His wife was legit. married to him and wanted him honored forever. Mauck Chunk did not want Asa Packers Lehigh University built there bc of drunken college kids. So it thrives barely as s tourist attraction. With an added train ride. Its a nice scenic town with a long history from the Molly Maguires to Jim Thorpe.

DroDameron t1_j0bu9zj wrote

Yeah I definitely don't fault the wife or the town, it was an unfortunate situation that he died broke. I just think when the family asked for the body back, they should have honored that request. My boss was telling me when he was there in the 90s, the grave was over grown and not well taken care of, but I can't speak for that nowadays.

Stolen probably the wrong word, like you said, legitimately acquired, just under crappy circumstances. The family definitely considers it stolen though.

moravian t1_j0cef5j wrote

For clarification, it's not Mauck Chunk but Mauch Chunk.