Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nowordsleft t1_j0gzxby wrote

I highly doubt that. There’s no point in having DRLs tied to a switch. They’re DAYTIME running lights. The DRLs are just dimmed versions of headlights (and without the taillights) in most cars. If your headlight switch is in auto, the DRLs should be on until it gets dark, then the headlights (maybe the same lights as the DRLs) and taillights will come on after dark. Next time your switch is in auto, the car is running, and it’s dark out, check to see if your taillights are on.

heili t1_j0h5esg wrote

This guy does not understand even the most basic thing about how a car works.

nowordsleft t1_j0h5nsy wrote

No kidding.

heili t1_j0h65cd wrote

I even showed him an instructional video for the Jeep showing how to use the auto headlights and he still insists that it won't also turn the taillights on.

terwoo t1_j0h216w wrote

My car has off, auto, parking lights, headlights, drls. Auto runs the drls during the day and headlights at night or when the wipers are on. Off shuts off the drls and everything else. drls just runs the drls, so you could run them at night if you wanted to, but it is strange that you can even turn them on or off manually.

[deleted] OP t1_j0h2453 wrote

[deleted]

−1

nowordsleft t1_j0h2xpn wrote

What kind of car do you have?

[deleted] OP t1_j0h3ikn wrote

[deleted]

nowordsleft t1_j0h43i8 wrote

Here is a link to a pdf of the owners manual for your car. Page 213 describes the operation of the lights. If you put the switch in auto the taillights will come on. If they don't in your vehicle, then you should get it serviced because there is a problem.

[deleted] OP t1_j0haeq2 wrote

[deleted]

nowordsleft t1_j0hb395 wrote

There is a light sensor on your dashboard. When it gets dark enough, because it's dusk, or your drive into a tunnel, or there's a solar eclipse, it will automatically turn on the headlights (and taillights), if the switch is set to auto. When you drive out of the tunnel or the eclipse is over, the lights will turn off. Do you have a lot of stuff piled on the dashboard of your car? Maybe you have an electrical problem. When you checked the taillights, did you have the parking brake engaged?

Often times, when it rains, it's also dark enough to trigger the automatic headlights. But not always. Some cars turn on the headlights (and tailights) when the wipers are on, if the switch is set to auto. Yours may not.

[deleted] OP t1_j0hbkp6 wrote

[deleted]

ho_merjpimpson t1_j0h7zwg wrote

we had a similar year rav 4 and sold it. i have a handful of toyotas and they are all the same. your rav 4 has an auto mode where when it gets dark the headlights turn on and your taillights turn on.

if it doesnt work on yours, something is broken.

to test it... if you turn the lights to auto, you should be able to start the car, and toss a rag over the sensor on the dash. few seconds later the lights will all come on.

in fact thats how i turn the lights on when it is rainy during the day. i use my sunglass cleaning rag to block out the sensor. that way i dont have to worry about turning the lights off when i get home.

[deleted] OP t1_j0h8jfx wrote

[deleted]

ho_merjpimpson t1_j0hak9w wrote

correct. very few cars also have the feature that turns headlights/taillights on when you turn the wipers on.

no vehicle has an auto mode that turns on just your headlights. full stop. it doesnt exist. that would be insanely dangerous. if thats what is happening in your car your tail lights are burnt out.

you also can not turn off your DRLs. there is no suuch thing as "auto drl". you either have them, or you dont.

on some toyotas the drls are the parking lights. thats how my tundra is. instead of a dimmer than normal headlight, its a brighter than normal parking light.

Mijbr090490 t1_j0h0kj7 wrote

That's odd. Usually DRLs run off a photo eye.

Both my 4runners and our f350 have the auto setting and it keeps the headlights on all time. They shut off when the vehicle is locked. Our f350 shuts the lights off when you put it in park during the day.