Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ct-5736-Bladez t1_j1az4gj wrote

Is that the snowman from Rudolph the red nose reindeer movie, Sam?

Prestigious-Buy1774 t1_j1cfols wrote

You're absolutely right!! I'd recognize him anywhere!! The only thing he is missing is his plaid vest.

NerdyRedneck45 t1_j1a1g0m wrote

Tyrone went hard for Christmas this year. The lights are pretty darn impressive

tooraycistformymain t1_j1bvcza wrote

Tyrone has more confederate flags than the town I used to live in, which was in Mississippi.

courageous_liquid t1_j1b54vq wrote

Ayyy took a train into tyrone yesterday. Interesting town.

I've never met a local - anywhere walkable to the train station that I can kill time over a beer during the day? I've been curious for years.

Softenthisoldarmor OP t1_j1b9pec wrote

Not really walkable unless you’re a member of the vfw which is super close. We are kind of a one horse town. If my family didn’t originate here, I probably would have never heard of it. Lol.

courageous_liquid t1_j1bo1os wrote

Weird, you'd imagine a place named after a county in Ireland wouldn't have a pub on main street. Also, yeah I passed the VFW on the way from the wine store back to the highway.

The distributor there was pretty good when I went a few months ago, though the people there wanted to have like a full 20 min conversation with me instead of scanning my shit so I could pay them and leave.

Also what's up with that building with the random woman painted on looking out the window?

Softenthisoldarmor OP t1_j1cvt8w wrote

I think the random woman building is where they knocked down an old abandoned building and turned it into a little park of sorts. That’s where we light the Christmas tree and have the St. Patrick’s day goings on.

I’m not at all surprised they were trying to talk your ear off. I moved up here from Jacksonville Florida and everyone here is much more social and easy going. Everyone wants to talk and get to know you. It’s hands down different than city life but can be frustrating when you’re just in a hurry and you want to buy your stuff and get out.

Gryphith t1_j1c0jep wrote

Sounds like ya need a good pub. How's the walking traffic?

Softenthisoldarmor OP t1_j1cvcdj wrote

We have an “ok” one called the bull pen, but it is not walking distance from the train. The walking traffic is non- existent here. Lol. We all usually go to Altoona or state college for fun. We have an plethora of pizza joints and churches. Oh! And of course sheetz.

throwaway224 t1_j1dmt7m wrote

I live in the area, insofar as "Breezewood" is "the area". LOL. It's not that close, but it was close enough to go there for high school football games and stuff.

Softenthisoldarmor OP t1_j1dxzqm wrote

Yea, that’s a trek from breezewood but not for football! I live right next to the football “stadium” and it is NUTS during home games. You can feel the vibration in the air. This town goes hard for our high school team.

vicfirthplayer t1_j1bjfk0 wrote

Don't listen to Leon! He's never been anywhere. He doesn't even have legs!

ellipses1 t1_j1bwl91 wrote

There’s a farm in Tyrone that produces some of the best American wagyu I’ve ever seen. Spring Lane Farm

Softenthisoldarmor OP t1_j1cvfd6 wrote

I have not seen or heard of this but I am definitely interested.. gonna have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

planetrussell t1_j1droie wrote

Great to see this kind of thing in Tyrone. My family were among of the earliest to settle there, circa 1853. My mom grew up in Tyrone (1920’s-1930’s) before enlisting in the Navy in 1941. I don't visit often, but the town seems to have bounced back a little from what seemed like its low(est) point in the early 2000's. Amirite?

Softenthisoldarmor OP t1_j1dxso0 wrote

Yea. I know that drugs are always an issue everywhere but they were especially bad here for a while. While I know that they are still around, it is definitely not as blatant and in your face as it was. I don’t see ppl in zombie mode like before either. It is sad though because the town still has that reputation. When we moved here from Altoona I was questioned by a number of friends as to why I would want to live here but it has been the most positive move for myself and my family of all the places we have lived in PA. The schools are pretty good and both of my kids have teachers that definitely care. Overall, I enjoy the quiet life we have here. I will be living here until we head back south in a year or so.

Myron_Bolitar t1_j1besge wrote

Love it but please stop. Everytime you make something this awesome you just raise the bar for the rest of us. I just want to blow the snow without having to spend 2 hours making a snowman and posing for instagram first.

Softenthisoldarmor OP t1_j1bknc6 wrote

Hahahaha. I would apologize but this is not my handiwork. I too just prefer to blow the snow and be done with it.