Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ajmagee t1_j46pf1a wrote

Should lose his hunters license. Who the fuck thinks there's coyotes in Berks County. Live in the area my whole life never heard of a coyotes being around. Also need to have stronger laws protecting pets and animals from abuse and killing.

−10

[deleted] t1_j46r0ku wrote

There are coyotes in Berks County. There are coyotes in every county in the state.

eviljelloman t1_j46ysmc wrote

>Who the fuck thinks there's coyotes in Berks County.

Anybody who is aware of actual facts? As multiple people have pointed out, you're completely wrong here. They were missing from the state for a long time, but coyotes are all over the place anymore.

lager81 t1_j46zty6 wrote

Check out the book "Coyote America" by Dan Flores.

They are literally everywhere and basically indestructible as a species. Killing them causes females to increase litter size to repopulate the numbers.

I hunt and spend a shit ton of time outdoors and I've only ever seen a glimpse of one. They are shifty little bastards. You'll hear them all the damn time but good luck shooting one. They are generally nocturnal so coyote hunters normally try thermal scopes which were approved in 2020 in PA

[deleted] t1_j471fub wrote

A lowering of population of any species, allows for more available resources, thus higher birth recruitment rates. I hear this a lot when people are discussing coyotes like it’s some type of superpower, but it’s true for most every other species.

For example, an area with a healthy population of deer, will have available browse all year, and you’re most likely see most does giving birth to twin fawns. In an area with a lot of deer, and little available browse, there is a lot of competition for that food, does wont be as healthy and will likely have only one or no fawns. This allows the population to drop back down a touch and let food resources catch up.

Rabbits and hares are a great example of cyclical populations, where your going to have several years of increasing populations, followed by a sudden population crash. In turn, you can watch lynx populations follow a similar curve, but a year or two after the snowshoe hares.

SendAstronomy t1_j48893u wrote

I don't think I've ever seen a coyote in PA. But I sure as heck hear them every time I go camping or are in a park after dark for the past few years. They make one heck of a racket at night at Cherry Springs.

lager81 t1_j48davv wrote

Gray ghosts!! I'm not far from cherry springs and when I take my dog out at night you can hear them very clearly it is spooky. Saw some tracks in our driveway too last winter when we had snow 🥲 RIP winter

SendAstronomy t1_j48moi8 wrote

They are all over the rural parts of Allegheny County too. Except there's always a dog within earshot, which automatically sets off the entire pack of coyotes.

LibraOnTheCusp t1_j46weil wrote

There are coyotes everywhere, I live in Limerick and have seen them here with my own eyes. My husband hunts on the gameland in Linfield along the river and this week he came across a dead coyote on the riverbank. Looks like it fell down a ravine because it had a head injury.

Swi11ah t1_j47sj2j wrote

Yeah someone i work with just mentioned seeing coyotes in their backyard. They live in Eagleville

ROTLA t1_j470e3j wrote

There’s coyotes in Philly.

claudedusk8 t1_j479un5 wrote

I've seen coyotes from Walnut Port to Cape May N.J. just say'in.