Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ThreePointsPhilly t1_j55belm wrote

Are your taxes low? And is this just a tax called a fee?

69FunnyNumberGuy420 t1_j55daij wrote

This is what happens when people complain about their taxes so much that the municipality starts cutting services out and/or privatizing them. The stuff your taxes used to cover turn into use fees.

City of Pittsburgh charges 1% EIT but you can throw damn near anything on the curb on trash day and they'll take it. In McCandless you're paying $70/bin every four months because they privatized that shit.

ThreePointsPhilly t1_j55epwb wrote

Right. We took up a bunch of carpet last year and the township we live in gladly took it, as long as we cut it down to the size they asked. But I did, put it on the curb and the next day it was gone. No extra fees, no special pick up, etc.

I have family in Washington state. They give you one garbage can and I think if you want another one, you have to pay for it, and then for the pick up of that garbage can. I always looked at it and said, what if you host Thanksgiving dinner and generate more trash than normal? You're just paying extra to host, I guess.

flaaaacid t1_j57nj2p wrote

Same in Philadelphia. We are taxed to death and don’t get much for it, but wow will the garbage guys take anything. I’ve put out whole sheets of backer board with tile, contractor bags full of construction debris, whatever. They’ll take it.