Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Kabloosh75 t1_j5hkdnw wrote

Pa state cops need to have 60 college credits or 4 years of military experience and 30 college credits to even apply.

You also have to take the civil service test. Once you score high enough on that they then invite you to an interview. If you move on from the interview you then have to get a polygraph test and pass a PT test.

After that you go to the academy which is like 32 weeks or something like that. Even once you graduate you still have a 3 year probationary period.

It's not easy to be a state cop.

delusions- t1_j5j9ca5 wrote

Oooh a state cop... now how about sheriff and smaller area positions?

Kabloosh75 t1_j5lq0gi wrote

They pay state cops starting 60k a year or somewhere around that. Sheriff deputies and municipalities pay less. Indeed puts it around 47k a year for a cop in PA.

I'm not a cop. I decided to not do that because I don't like the long hours and how much negative press comes with the position so I backed out and I am so glad I did because I make WAY more than that and I only work 40 hours a week.

All LEOs in PA do need to be Act 120 certified. I guess HACC provides an academy training program for Act 120 and so that is what you go through in order to become a cop in this state. It's probably not that hard, but they aren't making 6 figure salaries either so if you want more quality cops you need to attract the talent. Otherwise you're going to get what you're going to get.

delusions- t1_j5lq53e wrote

Lol why did you change to talking about pay? We're talking about qualifications necessary.

Kabloosh75 t1_j5lvjw8 wrote

Qualifications are a "want" list buddy.

The only qualifications that matter is have Act 120, be 21, have a high school diploma or GED, and don't have a criminal record.

Even the initial hiring may be conditional where the department will pay for you to get your Act 120.

Pay is a correlation to qualifications because it shows what the market values in said qualifications for the position.

You add additional requirements and you're going to have to pay more for it.

69FunnyNumberGuy420 t1_j5ojuyf wrote

> how much negative press comes with the position

Yeah, the negative press that definitely comes out of nowhere and is completely undeserved. Spontaneously-generated negative press.