Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SweatyCockroach8212 t1_j9fhwl3 wrote

LOL, wrong district (not that it matters), but CD1 is much less conservative than CD2. Fung would get trounced. Only Republicans to have any kind of chance would be de la Cruz, Newberry or Chippendale.

JKBone85 t1_j9g6543 wrote

Not living in the correct place has not stopped Rhode Islanders from running.

SweatyCockroach8212 t1_j9g67qh wrote

and winning.

JKBone85 t1_j9g6sbf wrote

Oh I agree, he’s got no shot, and as glad as I’d be to see him lose another, I’d rather not vote for someone based on “they aren’t Alan Fung”.

trabblepvd t1_j9gjvk3 wrote

CD1 was competative, but Cicillinne and Gordon Fox gerry mandered CD1 and took large parts of PVD into it to rig it for Cicilinne. Langivan was pissed at the time. 2011- https://www.golocalprov.com/news/cicil

>The latest redistricting map released Monday by the state’s redistricting commission would force more than 100,000 voters to shift congressional districts while moving Burrillville, North Smithfield and Smithfield out of the 1st District. Former Congressional candidate John Loughlin won those three towns by 2,976 votes in 2010 and North Smithfield and Smithfield were, by percentage, his largest victories in the district. > >The key for the former Providence Mayor would be the addition of South Providence, which would make more than 70 percent of the capital city part of the 1st District. Cicilline won Providence in 2010 with 69.2 percent of the 17,681 votes cast in the city.

SweatyCockroach8212 t1_j9gn2du wrote

This is true, and is why last year, CD2 was more competitive than it could have been.

mkmck t1_j9g4uzw wrote

Speaking of wrong district...I believe De La Cruz and Chippendale would have to move to run, because they live in D2. I think Newberry is a N. Smithfield resident, but if he's in Burrillville, he'd have to move too.

buffymiffington t1_j9i8sco wrote

They don’t have to move to run. A residency requirement only kicks in if they win.

mkmck t1_j9jmn4v wrote

Not sure that's accurate. This is from the RI Sec of State's website:

If you want to run for a Rhode Island office, you must be a registered voter in Rhode Island and live within the district for the office you seek.

buffymiffington t1_j9jtk3j wrote

Seth Magaziner didn’t live in D2 when he initially ran for it.

mkmck t1_j9jv2s3 wrote

You are correct. Maybe that rule only applies to local offices, not federal. I know the US Constitution only requires that you live in the state, not the district, but I believe states have the right to add requirements to their election rules. Interesting.

buffymiffington t1_j9naqxj wrote

I’m not sure the specifics. I was really surprised to find out - I only found out because there were so many people jumping into the CD2 race that didn’t even live in the district. I know for local offices living in the district or ward is absolutely a requirement.

Pleasant-Champion-14 t1_j9g6t5b wrote

Those three are way too conservative for CD1. Two of the three represent my district which is unfortunate.