Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ryanfingawesome t1_j8ilnjo wrote

bootlickers

barsoapguy t1_j8jsmpq wrote

Not bootlickers, most of us are just law abiding citizens. When I was a teenager my mother had the “conversation” with me about what to do if the police pull you over (because I’m black).

When people do crazy things like flee the police or utilize violence against the police , it simply doesn’t make any sense to those us out there who are sane and haven’t ever had any substance abuse issues.

We tend the give the police the benefit of the doubt because they deal with these types on a daily basis and thus have far more experience with these populations than your average citizen.

Call it a societal disconnect if you would, obviously if I sat on a jury I would be mostly unbiased but I’d expect in all but the most extreme circumstances to be siding with the police.

−14

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j8k25cj wrote

>if I sat on a jury I would be mostly unbiased but I’d expect in all but the most extreme circumstances to be siding with the police.

If it's a case of "the cop says that the defendant did this", most people would be the same way. It is a teensy bit different when it is a cop being accused of misconduct that was not in the line of duty.

barsoapguy t1_j8k2lar wrote

Yes this is a slightly unusual case because he wasn’t in uniform or in a marked patrol car .

The defense of not knowing or believing he was actually an officer is definitely a valid one here.

Where I live you don’t have to stop for unmarked patrol cars if they try to pull you over.

−5

sbaz86 t1_j8mwxc3 wrote

Where you live??? Is it in RI?