Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bosmacks t1_j8u8igo wrote

Medicaid is a mess in RI, lack of resources and a LOT of back log and wait times. Not to mention not a lot of places take just Medicaid.

radioflea t1_j8v3fh4 wrote

The back log is due to the turnover when McKee took office and the low wages at DHS.

The best tip I can give LTSS applicants is to make sure you have someone competent assisting with the application process as the initial application is lengthy.

RhodyViaWIClamDigger t1_j8vs7gd wrote

I believe there are attorneys wholly qualified to assist. They get it right the first time and succeed 99% on first time. Before you object based on cost, take a pulse on the wait times and rejections on try one in RI. Attorney only takes a modest % of your Medicaid reward. Worth it.

Dismal_Exchange1799 OP t1_j8u93l5 wrote

I knew this would crush my dreams lol. But the questions had to be asked. Do the major hospitals take Medicaid or brown affiliated things? The good thing about Philly is the major hospitals and universities here take medicaid.

bosmacks t1_j8ubb42 wrote

I know that Thundermist takes it, and a couple of other health clinics, not sure which hospitals do.

sc00p401 t1_j8wu1xt wrote

Thundermist is awful. I booked an appointment for emergency dental work, went there and only got a 5-minute exam where they told me the obvious. Then they booked an appointment to do the work I went there to get six months out. They didn't even prescribe antibiotics so I had to get them from my PCP.

Three days before the appointment day I called because I never got a confirmation call, and they claimed the appointment was cancelled the day it was booked. AND THEN I got a text the scheduled day saying I was late for my appointment.

Historical-Classic43 t1_j8wfslg wrote

why do you even want to move out here?

Dismal_Exchange1799 OP t1_j8xc34f wrote

My parents are from Providence. I grew up going there a lot. Spent a lot of time there—memories. RI is a lovely little state.

Unfortunately, they moved and raised me in a red state in a small conservative town. And then as an adult, I moved to Philly— which is riddled with crime and corruption. I live in a very “nice” area here and cars are stolen daily, people are murdered, and the cops don’t answer 911. Seriously, 911 will hang up on you. You’ll be on hold for 20+ minutes. It’s absolutely not safe anywhere in this city.

I want to live somewhere that’s cleaner, safer, and beautiful. It may not seem like it to someone that’s from there, but you’re very lucky to live in New England. There’s so much access to education and incredible hospitals. Anytime I’ve visited and spent time with family it’s peaceful and put together. Philly is an absolute dumpster fire.